ADVERTISEMENT

šŸˆ Recruiting 2023 NSD -- Tulsa Football Signees

how does this class compare with the past few years
With the transfers we got...It has been a nice pull. Especially with the short recruiting time window the new coach had. I would put the transfer class as one of the best, if not the best we have ever had.

Reactions: Oak775
i'd say for the team needs and the
PR need for local faces the coach did just fine. happy to see the amount of in-state kids that committed.

He hit right in that range of OK recruits that we have done well with. 9 guys(including the two transfers from OSU & Arkansas out of BTW) out of 24. The optimum percentages we have done well with has been around 40% up or down, and the percentage was 37.5. Almost all the Ok guys were his recruits. 1 of them was a holdover from Monty.(Robinson)

The add ons that were not holdovers from Monty was 8/15(53%) from Ok. Which is equivalent more to what BB was doing when he was here. But that probably won't be so high next year if you look at who he is going after for '24. He probably wouldn't have recruited much more from OK if he was recruiting the entire class anyway. Monty had already done the work for him on the 8 recruits that he got from other places. He might have recruited Robinson just like Monty did.

Last edited:
He hit right in that range of OK recruits that we have done well with. 9 guys(including the two transfers from OSU & Arkansas out of BTW) out of 24. The optimum percentages we have done well with has been around 40% up or down, and the percentage was 37.5. Almost all the Ok guys were his recruits. 1 of them was a holdover from Monty.(Robinson)

The add ons that were not holdovers from Monty was 8/15(53%) from Ok. Which is equivalent more to what BB was doing when he was here. But that probably won't be so high next year if you look at who he is going after for '24. He probably wouldn't have recruited much more from OK if he was recruiting the entire class anyway. Monty had already done the work for him on the 8 recruits that he got from other places. He might have recruited Robinson just like Monty did.
A little continuation for @Oak775 . Didn't recruit your go to place as much as you might have hoped. 9 recruits out of Tx. Six were holdovers from Monty, 3 were Wilson's recruits. 2 freshman and one transfer from OSU.(Kanion Williams out of Dallas)

A little continuation for @Oak775 . Didn't recruit your go to place as much as you might have hoped. 9 recruits out of Tx. Six were holdovers from Monty, 3 were Wilson's recruits. 2 freshman and one transfer from OSU.(Kanion Williams out of Dallas)
Gmoney, when the staff came in they were extremely pressed for time. In time, sure you would spend more time in Texas. Yet, as I mentioned, and you know too, with coaches being ā€œthoughtfullyā€œ added to the staff, along with time compression, I thought the staff did well.

Thoughts:
1. Before you take your boat across the lake just simply fish off your own dock at the marina, recruit here in Oklahoma. The staff fished off their own dock, and they did well.

2. We all know. This program has had to ALWAYS swing and fight way above its weight class. This years class is another example of taking kids who need a new position, more time in the weight room, etc..

3. Not a criticism but an observation, no portal transfer offensive lineman. Possibly when the spring portal opens up after spring practices across the nation wrap up? Weā€™ll see another flurry of players hit the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: rusty-c and TU_BLA
Gmoney, when the staff came in they were extremely pressed for time. In time, sure you would spend more time in Texas. Yet, as I mentioned, and you know too, with coaches being ā€œthoughtfullyā€œ added to the staff, along with time compression, I thought the staff did well.

Thoughts:
1. Before you take your boat across the lake just simply fish off your own dock at the marina, recruit here in Oklahoma. The staff fished off their own dock, and they did well.

2. We all know. This program has had to ALWAYS swing and fight way above its weight class. This years class is another example of taking kids who need a new position, more time in the weight room, etc..

3. Not a criticism but an observation, no portal transfer offensive lineman. Possibly when the spring portal opens up after spring practices across the nation wrap up? Weā€™ll see another flurry of players hit the portal.
I also think Wilson and the staff know Texas is going to be an important place for them to recruit a lot of players. He talked about how much time they spent in TX this year not necessarily for this class but for '24, '25, and '26. You've seen a good number of offers to TX kids from this staff in those years already. The majority of the staff hasn't been here more than a month yet.

I agree that Wilson and his staff have looked at kids who are playing out of position in HS and see potential in other places. I heard something in his voice, a spark and excitement, when he was talking about the kid from Cushing. I think you're going to see him in a hybrid LB/DB position AND possibly returning punts. He talked about Greyson Tempest's speed. I think you might see him play some early as a slot WR and as a KR/PR.

I think some of the kids he pulled for the edge rushers a lot of schools dismissed because they don't already have 250 lbs on them. Some of these guys can run like Shindelar (fast) but need some work in the weight room. Wilson has shown he is willing to take kids that he and the staff can develop into football players that can play at the next level. Most of the P5s want guys who can RS 1 year and then be ready to be world class. They miss on guys like Zaven Collins because they're near sighted and can't see the potential in 4 years. Baller Reeves is going to be that guy.

Wilson from day one has described the program as a developmental program and stated that we would use transfers and juco's with care. He's a smart guy and his consistency in that approach and how he describes his knowledge and vision of the new recruit, to this point, makes it clear that he meant it. It's all about how you build your house. Is it on a foundation of sand or stone? I think we all are pretty clear which will stand the test of time and figuratively Wilson is building our house at 11th and Harvard on a very solid foundation while using great and proven construction techniques.

And in addition to physical attributes and football potential, he's also talked a lot about being a good student (essential at TU) and an individual's character in recruiting. He can make the tough decisions on personnel but when he says it will be for the good of the program, I believe it.

No dogging it in class. No slacking in practice. Being a good teammate. Hard work. Without these attributes, yes, you may be in trouble with the coach.

No dogging it in class. No slacking in practice. Being a good teammate. Hard work. Without these attributes, yes, you may be in trouble with the coach.
The concern of many on this board was how Wilson went about instilling these attributes when he was the coach at Indiana. Not quite Bobby Knight but more old school, tough guy football coach that Monty. And there are a lot of football players who have not been exposed to that old school mentality. The game has changed, the players have changed, the public's perspective of that type of mentality has changed...all due to social media and a 24 hr news cycle. Bear Bryant might now have made it out of his 1st year at Alabama if he were coaching in today's environment.

I think Wilson understands this now. I don't care if he screams at players. Some kids just need that to get through to them. But he can't go Bobby Knight and grab a kid by the throat (apparently this is frowned upon in soccer as well as Casemiro grabbed a Crystal Palace player by the neck and was given a red card), or chuck a football or helmet at a kid...and certainly no forcing kids to practice or do out of the ordinary conditioning while injured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT