ADVERTISEMENT

🏈 Recruiting 2021 Recruiting Summary: Articles, Hot List, junior days, visits, etc.

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
The following posts are just a SAMPLE of our 2021 Tulsa football recruiting coverage. Don't miss all the inside scoop on Tulsa football -- Start getting your daily fill of Golden Hurricane news with a subscription to ITS. Our Hurricane Alley forum is the only place on the planet with daily news and discussion on TU athletics.

All offers to 2021 prospects have been listed in our 2021 Tulsa Football Offers thread and keep an eye on our Front page.

Frisco (TX) Lone Star’s Jaden Nixon was a key piece of a 2019 team that fell one win shy of reaching the UIL 5A Division I State Championship game. Nixon’s involvement for the Rangers’ explosive offense featured him making numerous dynamic plays from the backfield.

It didn’t take long for the University of Tulsa to notice Nixon. He spent March 7, junior day, on campus and received an offer from the Golden Hurricane staff.

LINK: Nixon talks Tulsa

Tulsa was the first school to offer 2021 Wagoner (OK) defensive end Isaac Smith, who took in a Junior Day on the TU campus on March 7. The 6-foot-6 prospect was impressed with what Tulsa had to offer, and he committed to the Golden Hurricane on Wednesday, April 15.

FULL STORY: Smith commits to Tulsa

Does anyone know if TU has paid any attention to Shea Dan, WR from Union? Kid's 6'5" and really nice hands from what I can see in his JR season film. Union's biggest problem last year was playing a RB as QB. Kid was a nice athlete but Union could not really pass on plays they had to pass. Union's offense was just weird. Maybe it was the OL that struggled. Union did have a backup QB who looks the part. I think he was a SO. Stands about 6'4" and a big arm. He came in the state quarterfinal game against BA late. Can really throw the ball.

Back to Dan. Can really get up high and go get the ball. Runs decent routes for a 16 year old kid. But he seems to have GIANT hands. TBH, his stride reminded me of Key. Long, and for a big guy, turned them over pretty well. Decent blocker from the tape I saw. Right now his only offer is Missouri Western. My guess is a lot of this is because you just haven't quite seen what he can do in a passing heavy offense because that's not what Union was last year (surprisingly). If schools are able to do camps at all this summer, he may hit the radar some.

Does anyone know if TU has paid any attention to Shea Dan, WR from Union?
TU is always aware of Union kids, but I haven't seen or heard of strong interest there up to this point. Shea Dan was not at Tulsa's junior day on March 7. He just picked up his first offer from Missouri Western, and he's being recruiting by Central Arkansas, NSU and SW Ok State.

TU is always aware of Union kids, but I haven't seen or heard of strong interest there up to this point. Shea Dan was not at Tulsa's junior day on March 7. He just picked up his first offer from Missouri Western, and he's being recruiting by Central Arkansas, NSU and SW Ok State.
I saw his 1st offer as he tweeted it out. I just find it weird that a giant WR like this is not on the radar locally considering we don't really have anyone for that role to stretch or go over the top. He's thin right now but a lot of HS kids who are this tall are thin and need that 1st solid yr of college S&C to build that muscle and bulk up a little.

Tulsa added another piece to its 2021 football recruiting class with the commitment of 3-star running back Bill Jackson. The 5-foot-10 and 190-pounder from St. Louis (MO) Cardinal Ritter chose the Hurricane over an impressive list of other offers.

LINK: Jackson picks TU

Tulsa added another piece to its 2021 football recruiting class with the commitment of 3-star running back Bill Jackson. The 5-foot-10 and 190-pounder from St. Louis (MO) Cardinal Ritter chose the Hurricane over an impressive list of other offers.

LINK: Jackson picks TU
Another one we'll have to fend off other suitors for another 6 months

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I was out in the mountains last week, so I'm a little out of the loop, but I know they've been trying. I think staying close to home appeals to Drummond.
There is a family tie to TU as I mentioned. I wonder if someone like Zaven might be the guy to use as another small town kid who stayed close and has really blossomed at TU. I like Drummond's arm and pocket awareness a lot. Once he hits a college S&C program I think you'll see him blossom into a candidate for the NFL. He's got all the potential and enough physical tools to develop into an NFL caliber player.

Tulsa Football currently has six commitments in the 2021 recruiting class. Most of them have turned in big performances with their respective teams, helping their programs get off to a good start this season.

I was out in the mountains last week, so I'm a little out of the loop, but I know they've been trying. I think staying close to home appeals to Drummond.
What's your sense as to how the staff is currently viewing 2021 QB priorities and timing?
  • They've not yet flipped Drummond--is that still a possibility with proximity, departure of UNT's QB coach?
  • Are we still in it with the Frisco QB (Braxton), who held an Arizona State and other offers?
  • Coaches showered attention on a QB from Argyle, TX, a few days ago -- does that indicate an imminent offer or simply something to hopefully leverage Drummond/Braxton?
  • Might the staff punt on QB for the 2021 class--given the extra year of eligibility granted to existing CFB players--and instead intend to mine the portal which could be stocked by December?

What's your sense as to how the staff is currently viewing 2021 QB priorities and timing?
  • They've not yet flipped Drummond--is that still a possibility with proximity, departure of UNT's QB coach?
  • Are we still in it with the Frisco QB (Braxton), who held an Arizona State and other offers?
  • Coaches showered attention on a QB from Argyle, TX, a few days ago -- does that indicate an imminent offer or simply something to hopefully leverage Drummond/Braxton?
  • Might the staff punt on QB for the 2021 class--given the extra year of eligibility granted to existing CFB players--and instead intend to mine the portal which could be stocked by December?
The coaches generally want to sign a QB in every class. I've talked about some of this in Hurricane Alley, but they are still working on Drummond, and yes, TU is still communicating with Braylon Braxton of Frisco. Another priority QB is Cam'Ron Ransom in Seffner, Florida, along with Kyle Wickersham out of Louisiana. Those are the guys we are currently monitoring at the position, but there are four others that Tulsa has been talking to recently that I've been doing research on.

Good insight, Chris, thanks. Please be sure to share what you discover on any of the new four and developments wrt the four priorities you listed.

Good insight, Chris, thanks. Please be sure to share what you discover on any of the new four and developments wrt the four priorities you listed.
While researching and writing an update on Tulsa's QB recruiting, the Hurricane got a commitment from Braylon Braxton.

The University of Tulsa currently holds six commitments in its 2021 football recruiting class. One of those is Marquis Shoulders of Katy (TX) Tompkins, who is listed as an all-purpose back on Rivals.com.

The Hurricane will likely add more prospects to the class at the receiver position, as TU coaches are actively pursuing at least four other wideouts in the class. Below is a look at where Tulsa's wide receiver recruiting currently sits, including a closer look at the prospects with strong recent interest from TU.

While researching and writing an update on Tulsa's QB recruiting, the Hurricane got a commitment from Braylon Braxton.

Do you believe Monty and staff are "done" at QB for the 2021 class?

If they were to extend another offer--because of a decommit/portal transfer out/add 1 more--who would be the most likely target(s)?

Do you believe Monty and staff are "done" at QB for the 2021 class?

If they were to extend another offer--because of a decommit/portal transfer out/add 1 more--who would be the most likely target(s)?
A lot of variables there. The staff likes to take one QB per recruiting cycle, but transfers could certainly change that.

A lot of variables there. The staff likes to take one QB per recruiting cycle, but transfers could certainly change that.

We'd be taking a chance on losing one of our quarterbacks through the transfer portal if we did that too. So it would have to be an almost sure thing recruit if we were going to take a chance on that. Assuming Smith stays, that would put what, 6 QB's on the roster? With nobody losing a year of eligibility, that would be a risk for sure.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
On the first day of the regular signing period, Tulsa added the final piece to its 2021 recruiting class. TU had already signed six high school prospects in the early December signing period along with a Division 1 transfer at the start of the spring semester.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT