ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Women’s Thread

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
I didn’t see the game against OSU. How did we look? Do we have the leadership to make a conference title push?

I didn’t see the game against OSU. How did we look? Do we have the leadership to make a conference title push?
AAC is a tough women's soccer conference. USF and UCF are both usually really good. I think a good step would be making the conference tournament (top 6) and then moving forward from there.

AAC is a tough women's soccer conference. USF and UCF are both usually really good. I think a good step would be making the conference tournament (top 6) and then moving forward from there.

The process begins.

Let's get it done ladies.

Women put a hurting on Texas Southern. 7-0.

Excellent work girls. Keep the momentum building.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Women defeated UALR 3-1 last night. Return to the field tomorrow evening against OU, 7pm at the Hurricane Soccer and Track complex.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Dropped a 3-2 OT heartbreaker to OU on Sunday. TU had a 2-1 lead into the 77th minute when OU equalized. TUs got a pair of FR who can absolute find the back of the net this year. Looking up for TU women’s soccer.

Went to the TU be Grambling State game last night. TU struggles to hold the ball but didn’t lack for chances. TU won 3-0 but needs to finish better as they had several good chances in the air with uncontested headers inside the 6 and all went over the bar. TU has 2 outside backs who are really good defenders and fantastic with the ball at their foot and putting pressure on defenders to come meet them leaving MFs and F to make runs into space. Reagan Whitlow is also a really really good 10 for TU.

Grambling State has some athletes but not enough to compete with TU. They had some pace players up top and a couple of nice CBs but they simply didn’t have enough to stay with the depth that TU has. Next up is Lamar

Reactions: TU4ever2
Watched the women play USF last evening online. USF has some players. 1-1 draw until the 9:48 second mark of the 2nd OT period (they play 10 min OTs). TU scored first. It was apparent what TU's strategy for this game was. Pack it in defensively, kick the crap out of the ball to clear it out and pick spots to counter. I think USF was the preseason favorite and I now understand why. Lot's of talent and depth. TU's strategy worked pretty well and TU's GK played very well. The USF keeper was nothing special(maybe 5'4", couldn't jump, not very good hands). She never punted and she didn't take her own goal kicks. Not punting is not an issue it should be a last resort. Not taking one's own goal kicks tells me there is a deficiency in her game...either she can't get the ball in the air or she doesn't have the leg strength.I digress. USF tied the game early in the 2nd half. USF frequently got forward. They had 28 shots and forced McKay to make 10 saves on the night. USF keeper only had to make 3. TU would always find a gap in the counter but it was usually a solo effort with no support. TU had a couple of dangerous chances late in regulation and in both OTs, the last one early in the 2nd OT from about the spot, TU player sky'd one over the goal.

Game was settled when the ref called a PK for USF with 12 seconds left. I was watching on my phone so it was hard to see if he was right, but I'm inclined to say he wasn't. He let both teams play very physically all night and there were some very questionable non-foul calls after really aggressive and hard contact. This play seemed to have a little shoulder contact just inside the top of the box and the USF player went down. PK call. Two nights of TU soccer....two bad calls that end up costing the Golden Hurricane. (TU lost 2-1)

How does the top team in the conference have a 5’4” keeper with bad hands who can’t jump?

How does the top team in the conference have a 5’4” keeper with bad hands who can’t jump?
I have no idea but in the few games I’ve watched, few of the teams have GKs I would want playing for my team if I was coaching. Granted TU didn’t test her a ton but she spilled the ball the couple of shots she did have to stop and was lucky no one from TU was near to deposit the rebound. One of them she was coming out on a through ball and slid with hands out like a keeper should and she didn’t field it cleanly and it popped away. The TU player who was pressuring had jumped over her to not hit her. And maybe she had a bad game or maybe she’s a backup. I don’t know, I just know if she is the started and that’s her normal play USF is going to be in trouble against a team that can build an attack a little better than TU can.

Women beat Temple tonight 1-0. Goal came from FR Emily Torres. If you haven’t seen her play, she’s good. Great feet, quick, really good technical skill and the great ability to turn and fire from anywhere within 25 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT