ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Men’s Thread

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
Alright, how do you think we look this go ‘round?

This team can be as good as they want or play as poor as they want. As we've seen, Tom can get them to play at a super high level against the best in the country but they can also come back out and lay an egg against So. Illinois-Edwardsville. (Who they drew 1-1 on Saturday evening in an exhibition). Settle 7-6 in favor of TU in PKs).

TU has always had an issue defending set pieces. May be a zone marking philosophy thing (which I hate). Hopefully having a couple of giants back there will help that (Ryan Alpers is 6'5" and Tyler LaCourse is 6'3"). Alpers is a smooth player. He played at Union and played the 6 for them. Good technical skill, good vision, great passer, and very good in the air.

Also, I noticed Will Edwards wasn't listed on the roster online. He was supposed to be coming in from Jenks unless I'm off a year and he's coming next year. Coming off a HS All American season and Gatorade Player of the Year for OK. Quick, skilled F.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
Some of those guys got together this past weekend at Foxy's house in StL. I bring this up only b/c some of us don't remember Illinois State ever being ranked that high and apparently that was discussed in between beers.

Some of those guys got together this past weekend at Foxy's house in StL. I bring this up only b/c some of us don't remember Illinois State ever being ranked that high and apparently that was discussed in between beers.
No comment. I will say there were a lot of obscure polls at the time. The Soccer America poll being the only one that mattered. This is the year that people started to see what Shane could do.

Switching back to the present, SMU and UCF, the only two schools I loathe, are pre-season ranked. UCF has a couple of guys on the Herman Trophy watch list. We aren’t getting any votes in the polls I’ve seen, which is frustrating. This could be a special group.

Switching back to the present, SMU and UCF, the only two schools I loathe, are pre-season ranked. UCF has a couple of guys on the Herman Trophy watch list. We aren’t getting any votes in the polls I’ve seen, which is frustrating. This could be a special group.
It's typical for TU to not get any attention until they win a couple of games that open eyes for people.

UCF is too smug for their own good. I watched their games in the AAC tournament last year hoping against hope that they'd lose. Believe they beat UCONN in the final. SMU- is one of those programs that you just want to b*tch slap every player. They're the entitled club soccer brats who know it from the time they're 8 years old.

I really like this conference there isn't necessarily a sport that the conference isn't pretty good in. Lots of them have top notch national competition level programs, in baseball, football, basketball, track, pretty good in softball, solid in volleyball and women's basketball, strong tennis, golf, etc.

TU got throttled on Saturday evening by Central Arkansas. It was 2-1 UCA when Tom did a full-on line change. (It was an exhibition game). UCAs only weapon most of the night were long balls to a couple of targets up front. One of them was a beast, about 6'2", 210 and could flat out fly up the wing. The 2nd goal was flat-out brutal. Misplayed by the defender and miscommunication and indecision by the GK. Ball bounced high, defender pulled up, GK made a late decision to try and get to the top of the box and ended up being way later, UCA player chipped the keeper with a header you would see in sand volleyball. TU has a nice set of MF players and does pretty well in trying to keep possession. They also like to build their attack vs going over the top on everything. UCA GK made a couple of absolutely phenomenal saves in the 1st half.

TU starts for real this Friday night hosting Gonzaga. So make a choice...stay at home and watch football or go to TU and watch futbol.

well :crap:burgers, that's not a good sign of things to come.
Yeah. I'm thinking the 2 styles and the fact that UCA may not have cared how many goals they gave up just made it a bad matchup in an exhibition game. TU seemed to be pushing as high as possible with their back 4 which made the long over the top balls a little easier into a ton of space. I can't say TU was bad on defense, especially 1v1, they weren't in a terrible shape, they didn't have horrible turnovers in their own 1/3. TU will need to finish better. It was one of those weird games where you felt TU outplayed the other team and should be up a goal or two.

I really like TU's 2 outside backs. Koray Easterling plays the left side. He's big and physical. The right back is not as big but us hella fast. He's also got fantastic vision and moved the ball well. Harris Partain is a nice player at the 9 and Bromstedt is a really good player. He was playing mostly the 10 the other night. We'll see how the real games go.

I had to look at Partain's bio b/c the name sounded familiar. His dad Curtis played for the Tulsa Ambush in the '91-92 season, which was unfortunately our only season.

I couldn't remember where Curtis had played his college ball, but the bio says UCLA, which means he was probably just year or two older than Joe-Max and Cobi.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Partain left UCLA and played either at Centenary or Tulane, I forget. So he was gone by the time Joe-Max arrive. Dunno about Cobi.

He came out to a couple of pick up games in the late 80s in Dallas during the summer that I was at. He embarrassed me repeatedly.

I can’t say I know him, but I do know Harris is a transfer from Central Arkansas and is a great asset to the current team. His older brother plays for Sac Republic.

Partain left UCLA and played either at Centenary or Tulane, I forget. So he was gone by the time Joe-Max arrive. Dunno about Cobi.

He came out to a couple of pick up games in the late 80s in Dallas during the summer that I was at. He embarrassed me repeatedly.

I can’t say I know him, but I do know Harris is a transfer from Central Arkansas and is a great asset to the current team. His older brother plays for Sac Republic.

I figured you probably knew he was.

I figured you probably knew he was.
Yeah. I was aware but didn’t really know him. Small group of people playing back then that were any good. It only took you a few seconds to realize they were next level and most of them didn’t really want to talk to guys like us that would rather drink beer and do other things but still play at a decent level on the weekends.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
TU defeated Gonzaga 1-0 last night. Made a 1st half goal stand up. I don’t know how good Gonzaga is but I’m glad TU showed better than they did against UCA.

Reactions: TU4ever2
TU defeated Lipscomb 3-1 on Monday. From following their twitter posts it sounds like TU controlled the game pretty easily. At Kentucky will be a good test to see where TU is.

Men lost 2-0 to #2 Kentucky last night. Check of the quick stats showed a pretty even game. UK 6 shots (3 on goal). TU 5 shots (2 on goal). Recap of college soccer games doesn’t include a possession stat. Kentucky scored in the 3rd minute and added a late goal for the final margin.

We had our chances. They played well. Tough to win on the road. We could press, break, and counter, but not finish. This team could be special if it wants to be,

We had our chances. They played well. Tough to win on the road. We could press, break, and counter, but not finish. This team could be special if it wants to be,
That's what I've seen too. They've got some really creative MFs and some decent Fs. One thing they lack is that stud GK TU has seemed to always find the last 15 years or so. Several have or are playing professionally at some level. Mark Pais, Jake McGuire, Terry Boss, Dom Cervi, & Tyrel Lacy. Bryson is OK, but doesn't seem to be at the level those others were.

TU men dropped a heart breaker in 2)T to Creighton. TU opened the scoring and led 1-0 at halftime. Creighton countered and scored 3 times between the 52' and the 57' (ouch). TU fought back and scored 2, the equalizer in the 82'.

No blood in the 1st OT. In the 2nd OT, a TU defender played a pass back to the keeper who WHIFFED on it. Keeper scrambles back and picks the ball up before an on-rushing Creighton attacker can get there. Play resumes for 30 seconds and then the referee awards an indirect free kick on the 6 yd box due to the handling of the back pass. Creighton scores to win.

The referee's decision was an egregious error in the application of the law. FIFA issued a decision to be implemented with the new laws of the game June 1st. This decision said that if a GK misplays a pass back which puts him at an immediate disadvantage, he may play it with his hands as long as the referee deems it wasn't an intentional misplay. I asked a local referee about this as well (my son being a GK and this being of relevance to him and how he plays). He said this was a point of emphasis in referee recertification this past summer as well as the new laws. I watched the game last night and the TU keeper looked really awkward in trying to clear the ball on the pass back. The ball was also bouncing some and not rolling smoothly on the ground. He pretty much whiffed and it was all he could do to get back to it before the Creighton player. The referee at first allowed it and then went back. Not sure if he was in communication with a 4th official or an AR. Someone said NCAA rules differ from FIFAs, which is just flat out stupid. I already don't like the way the NCAA does their timing when you have youth club games using FIFA standards (count up, official time is with the center ref). But why wouldn't you play under the same set of rules used worldwide governing the course of play (not even talking about timing and sub rules)? I get why MLS and USL didn't implement the new rules yet...they were rolled out for them midseason. NCAA has no reason to not play by the same standards.

I felt bad for Brady (TU's GK). He's trained my son before and he's a good kid.

I will always defer to TU_BLA in all things GK related but this rule doesn't make much sense to me. So...if the GK screws up in handling the pass back to him/her then he is then afforded an advantage due to said mistake? I assume everyone will agree as to the advantages of the GK being able to pick the ball up affords to him as his side.

I will always defer to TU_BLA in all things GK related but this rule doesn't make much sense to me. So...if the GK screws up in handling the pass back to him/her then he is then afforded an advantage due to said mistake? I assume everyone will agree as to the advantages of the GK being able to pick the ball up affords to him as his side.
The first time I heard FIFA was moving in this direction, I questioned it, which is why I asked one of the referees before a game for clarification on that. I think the intent is good but yes, as with anything, skilled players could abuse it. He said referees have the discretion on that call. From my perspective last night in that situation, I did not view it as the GK trying to take advantage of the rule. Personally I felt he had the opportunity to clear it to the side with his feet or even over the end line for a corner.

I don't know why FIFA clarified it in this way. I do know that at a lot of levels, what is and isn't considered an intentional pass back to the GK is questioned. Kids often think that just because the ball came off of their defender last that they can't pick it up simply creates chaos and confusion. This happened to my son's team in a game (he wasn't in goal for that one), the ball was centered and the defender went to clear it and mi:crap: it and it popped up. The GK could have easily grabbed it (and was within the laws to do so since it was a deflection and not a purposeful attempt to play the GK), but didn't because his teammate last played it, and the ball bounced around and the GK whiffed on a clearance and the other team knocked it in.

I have told my son on multiple occasions to grab the ball if he feels the other team will score a goal if he doesn't. He's also been told this by some of his coaches. Deal with the indirect if need be...at least you have a fighting chance. Maybe a couple of weeks ago, was watching the Roughnecks and one of the defenders hit this insane pass back to the keeper. Pass was hit hard and was chest level. He handled it but it ended up being a dicey situation. Pros rarely get bad bounces because they play on better quality fields but kids, colleges, and even some lower level pro teams (like the Roughnecks) play on pitches that aren't even, and don't have perfect surfaces (TU can't claim this, their new surface may be the best in college soccer) and you get crazy bounces and hops.

It was a weird situation last night. Brady did goof as I think he took his eye off the ball to pick out an upfield target. Those are always tough situations...but I hate seeing TU lose a game to an interpretation of a rule.

At the risk of being even more pedantic than usual, FIFA does not create or certify the Laws of the Game. They have a fifty percent share in the International Football Association Board, the body that actually writes and approves the rules. The remainder are made up of representatives of the four countries within the United Kingdom. So FIFA must support rules changes but cannot change them alone. They pay to publicize the rules however.

You are absolutely right the rule is jacked and it’s one of the many updates in June that made no sense including the prohibition against keepers throwing the ball the length of the field into the opposing goal. Maybe 1 out of 1000 referees in the USA know about that change, even if they were paying attention during re-certification.

At the risk of being even more pedantic than usual, FIFA does not create or certify the Laws of the Game. They have a fifty percent share in the International Football Association Board, the body that actually writes and approves the rules. The remainder are made up of representatives of the four countries within the United Kingdom. So FIFA must support rules changes but cannot change them alone. They pay to publicize the rules however.

You are absolutely right the rule is jacked and it’s one of the many updates in June that made no sense including the prohibition against keepers throwing the ball the length of the field into the opposing goal. Maybe 1 out of 1000 referees in the USA know about that change, even if they were paying attention during re-certification.
The rule remained the same. FIFA just provided a clarification to its referees and certification affiliates on how to handle odd situations, this being one of them. The USGA and R&A do the same thing for the Rules of Golf every year. The rules there don't change a ton or in a big way (for the most part) but they always are issuing clarifications on rulings based on things that happen in events that create questions.

There are maybe 10 GKs worldwide who have the strength to throw the ball from their own goal box into the opposing goal. One of them plays for the Roughnecks, but I've never seen him get close to scoring using the throw in. Cerda came close on a couple of punts before, but his ability to pinpoint a punt and drop it on a dime 90 yards away was special.

The rule remained the same. FIFA just provided a clarification to its referees and certification affiliates on how to handle odd situations, this being one of them. The USGA and R&A do the same thing for the Rules of Golf every year. The rules there don't change a ton or in a big way (for the most part) but they always are issuing clarifications on rulings based on things that happen in events that create questions.

There are maybe 10 GKs worldwide who have the strength to throw the ball from their own goal box into the opposing goal. One of them plays for the Roughnecks, but I've never seen him get close to scoring using the throw in. Cerda came close on a couple of punts before, but his ability to pinpoint a punt and drop it on a dime 90 yards away was special.
I think the rule is cosmetic in that it results in encouraging GK down by one to go into the opposite mixer in injury time without risk of Tim Howard or his ilk grabbing the ball in the air of a corner, landing and whipping the ball Into the opposite goal.

I think the rule is cosmetic in that it results in encouraging GK down by one to go into the opposite mixer in injury time without risk of Tim Howard or his ilk grabbing the ball in the air of a corner, landing and whipping the ball Into the opposite goal.
After watching the Roughnecks lose on Saturday night in the manner they did (5th minute of stoppage time) after sending 10 into the box on 2 consecutive corners and anticipating the second the ball would be cleared that the ref would signal the end of the game, only to not have the whistle blow, the ball get cleared from the box to have 2 runners from Orange County come at the keeper and score I can believe this could happen. (BTW, this was the 1st loss for the Roughnecks since the change in ownership. The little Brazilian MF they picked up is phenomenal. )

But as you point out, the laws of the game are the result of a number of people coming together to figure something out...and yet in the US you have rec leagues, clubs and HS, and NCAA playing under 4 different sets of rules. I can see adapting some rules, but simple flow of game stuff should be universal...it's not hard to figure out. You should have a standard for how games are times. If 14 year old refs can figure it out for competitive youth games, you should be able to count on adults doing HS and college games to be able to figure it out. There's a reason why HS/NCAA soccer are not regarded as upper level soccer. Colleges put more emphasis on club soccer, pros put more emphasis on club soccer. Sure you get a few college players who end up playing professionally but the vast majority of pro players come from academies and high level development programs.

I also find it odd that when my son gets to U16 club soccer, he'll be playing 45 minute halves and yet Oklahoma HS soccer only plays 40 minute halves.

The first time I heard FIFA was moving in this direction, I questioned it, which is why I asked one of the referees before a game for clarification on that. I think the intent is good but yes, as with anything, skilled players could abuse it. He said referees have the discretion on that call. From my perspective last night in that situation, I did not view it as the GK trying to take advantage of the rule. Personally I felt he had the opportunity to clear it to the side with his feet or even over the end line for a corner.

I don't know why FIFA clarified it in this way. I do know that at a lot of levels, what is and isn't considered an intentional pass back to the GK is questioned. Kids often think that just because the ball came off of their defender last that they can't pick it up simply creates chaos and confusion. This happened to my son's team in a game (he wasn't in goal for that one), the ball was centered and the defender went to clear it and mi:crap: it and it popped up. The GK could have easily grabbed it (and was within the laws to do so since it was a deflection and not a purposeful attempt to play the GK), but didn't because his teammate last played it, and the ball bounced around and the GK whiffed on a clearance and the other team knocked it in.

I have told my son on multiple occasions to grab the ball if he feels the other team will score a goal if he doesn't. He's also been told this by some of his coaches. Deal with the indirect if need be...at least you have a fighting chance. Maybe a couple of weeks ago, was watching the Roughnecks and one of the defenders hit this insane pass back to the keeper. Pass was hit hard and was chest level. He handled it but it ended up being a dicey situation. Pros rarely get bad bounces because they play on better quality fields but kids, colleges, and even some lower level pro teams (like the Roughnecks) play on pitches that aren't even, and don't have perfect surfaces (TU can't claim this, their new surface may be the best in college soccer) and you get crazy bounces and hops.

It was a weird situation last night. Brady did goof as I think he took his eye off the ball to pick out an upfield target. Those are always tough situations...but I hate seeing TU lose a game to an interpretation of a rule.

Thanks for the info. My scenario would be a bouncing pass back to the GK. The GK tries to settle the ball with his foot but is unsuccessful and the ball bounces a few feet away from the GK with opposing players approaching. Can the GK grab the ball under the new rules? I assume this new rule will almost never apply to high level professional GKs. However, it seems like a headache for those officiating lower level games due to its subjectivity.

Thanks for the info. My scenario would be a bouncing pass back to the GK. The GK tries to settle the ball with his foot but is unsuccessful and the ball bounces a few feet away from the GK with opposing players approaching. Can the GK grab the ball under the new rules? I assume this new rule will almost never apply to high level professional GKs. However, it seems like a headache for those officiating lower level games due to its subjectivity.
It would be up to the referee in the scenario you pose. And that's pretty much what happened on Tuesday night in the TU game.

And believe it or not, I've seen HIGH level pro keepers butcher what appear to be the easiest of plays. David De Gea, probably a top 5 in the world GK, let a low rolling shot between his legs in the last WC (vs Portugal). 2014 WC, Russian keeper had a soft line drive at him, put his hands up, didn't look the ball in, and it went off his finger tips into the goal. Ball was chest high. Karius in the 2018 UEFA Champions League Finals, turns and rolls a ball out straight to the Real Madrid attacker about 3 yards away and it gets tucked in for a goal (1st of 4 GA that day). Every time I see something like that from guys making millions of dollars I remind myself to apologize to my son for getting on him about a technique mistake. If it can happen to the best in the world, it's going to happen to a 12 or 13 year old.

TU down 3-0 to #4 SMU early in the 2nd. I think TU is now playing their 4th string GK. He’s not good. Bryson looks like he is hurt and doesn’t look like he’s even dressed. Brady is on the bench and another keeper is wearing a knee brace.

TU has had some nice buildup but is not finding a good look in the box save for one nice combo . SMU is fast fast fast and our outside backs are struggling to contain their outside players. They do have a goon type kid playing striker who is fast and pretty good but he’s a whiny crybaby. SMU also plays Mexican soccer... anyone gets too close and they crumble like Chicharito

I couldn’t watch this one. It’s probably good I didn’t.

Everyone that cares about TU soccer knows that beating SMU is more important to the program than OU beating Texas in football, in relative terms, that is. The rivalry has its own wiki for chrissakes.

Hearing there was low energy for this game is disappointing. The history of this rivalry and the establishment of the Tulsa program demands more than that. This team has way too much talent and promise for that ...

Last edited:
I couldn’t watch this one. It’s probably good I didn’t.

Everyone that cares about TU soccer knows that beating SMU is more important to the program than OU beating Texas in football, in relative terms, that is. The rivalry has its own wiki for chrissakes.

Hearing there was low energy for this game is disappointing. The history of this rivalry and the establishment of the Tulsa program demands more than that. This team has way too much talent and promise for that ...

The game started with plenty of energy and TU really looked to attack SMU. TU created a good number of chances early on and had one stellar opportunity to grab the 1st goal....if that happens the entire game plays out differently. SMU scored just a couple of minutes later and the wind came out of the sails, except for the cackling rooster SMU fan sitting behind me.

TU has a couple of holes, one being left back. He simply was not nearly fast enough to keep up with SMU's pace on the wing nor in the middle. TU was also exposed at GK. You could see the drop off from Bryson and Brady.

It's unfortunate. I think TU can rebound but there's also a lot of good teams in the AAC. UCF, USF, UCONN are all really really solid as well.

Lost another heart breaker in 2OT to UCF who I think was ranked pretty highly nationally. SMU and Memphis were also ranked this week.

On another note, Harris Partain was the AAC Player of the Week. he scored 5 goals in TU's 2 games last week including a brace against UCF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT