ADVERTISEMENT

2018 TU Spring Game -- Larry Lewis recap, plus stats and video

Wow shocked by one start. Blankenship over Robinson or even Flanary.

Thanks for that insight, wondering if they did not play to simply give Blankenship to shine or not shine in spring ball. OR INJURY.

I'm guessing they were held out as a precaution ablut a minor injury. It' good to know there is some depth there.
TW said injury on both. I had thought I read somewhere that Robinson played when they went to a four man front, guess not.

It will be tough for any freshmen this season to make an immediate impact, especially with juco guys getting their chance ahead of them, and with a young team. Last year I thought Shamari Brooks might play, but didn't expect him to be that good as soon as he did.

Inevitably, someone will get a chance. I like what I've heard about defensive tackle Jaxon Player. I like productive guys who get overlooked by some because their size or height isn't perfect.

Player already has enough weight to play. His height doesn't bother me. Reminds me of the an offensive counterpart in Garrett Mills. Not enough height supposedly for their positions, but winners.

As for the juco guys i saw in the scrimmage, I like Blankenship and Welch.

Last edited:
Reactions: quincy101
Seeing as how Stevinson and Robinson probably start, I sincerely doubt they will be competing for the same spot. o_O
Unless he has hit the weight room , I don't see Flanary getting it done . Good kid, good technique, but was not ready to play last year as a freshman. Hopefully he turns into a special player

Anticipate any incoming freshmen making an impact?
I expect the kid from Waco (Jaxon Player?) to make an immediate impact. Everything you read on him is that if he were 2-3" taller he would be a top 10 national DL. I think he's playing at barely 6' if that but most coaches in TX who have seen him said he's severely underrated because of his lack of height. Sorry, don't care how tall he is. We don't bat many passes down anyway and haven't since Dorris graduated. If he can clog the middle and free up LBs to get into the hole to get the ball carrier, that's what we need.

Here is a prediction for everyone: Boomer will end up as the starter part way through the season and not due to injury. Monty used two key words when describing him after the spring game - "accurate" and "coachable". Those are two things TU hasn't had since Dane left and they are probably two of the most important things for the position.

Here is a prediction for everyone: Boomer will end up as the starter part way through the season and not due to injury. Monty used two key words when describing him after the spring game - "accurate" and "coachable". Those are two things TU hasn't had since Dane left and they are probably two of the most important things for the position.
That's definitely possible, but if we are doing well with Skipper, I don't see that happening

If Monty is forced to make a QB change midway through the season it likely means two things:

1) We're not having a very good season
2) He screwed up in not naming Boomer the starter from the get go.

Reactions: TU_BLA
If Monty is forced to make a QB change midway through the season it likely means two things:

1) We're not having a very good season
2) He screwed up in not naming Boomer the starter from the get go.
I don't care who the starter is as long as it is the best player we have at the position. We have learned in 3 out of the last 5 seasons that when you start someone out of loyalty versus who is best, things don't turn out so well because you lose the locker room and respect of the other players because they all have a sense at who gives them the best chance to win. Ultimately, every player in that locker room wants to be a starter and play as many snaps as they can, but they all know who should be starting because they see the same things (and probably more) that fans see.

3) We are not moving the ball on the ground.
4) Boomer worked all summer on his release. He's getting the ball out quicker, but it still is slower than a starter.

I don't care who the starter is as long as it is the best player we have at the position. We have learned in 3 out of the last 5 seasons that when you start someone out of loyalty versus who is best, things don't turn out so well because you lose the locker room and respect of the other players because they all have a sense at who gives them the best chance to win. Ultimately, every player in that locker room wants to be a starter and play as many snaps as they can, but they all know who should be starting because they see the same things (and probably more) that fans see.

Not a single time in the last 5 years has a coach started a QB(save senior day or possibly disciplinary reasons) they didn't think gave them the best chance to win. This is their livelihood and it's an easy job to lose. They're not starting players they think will increase their chances of losing. Coaches can(rarely) make mistakes because they prioritize one attribute over another. I think we do with a certain defensive back for example. But they're not handing out gifts. And as always they see much more in practice and have a lot more information about an individual than we do.

Last edited:
I may be crazy. But Boomer went in to the spring game 3rd in my mind at the QB position (factoring out President & Smith). But not that close to Skipper really. He definitely he had a good day Saturday, but is anyone else surprised how much people are talking about him being right there competing for he job?

I think it says we’ve got problems at the most important position on the field more Han anything. If Boomer is competing well that’s great and he’s really developing. On the other hand, that means we have a redshirt freshman and redshirt sophomore as our two best options and that’s a more than just a bit scary.

All we need is one good season out of either because the transfer will take over and it is not close.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Hopefully at WR.
Wishful thinking, but I think we've all share that wish for the last couple years. I just don't see it happening. He has elite athletic ability that I wish he would take advantage of.

Wishful thinking, but I think we've all share that wish for the last couple years. I just don't see it happening. He has elite athletic ability that I wish he would take advantage of.
I think Montgomery is giving coach speak at this point. His decision when he makes it, will have him either transferring or changing position. IMO Montgomery just doesn't feel it is the right time to push the position change even though he probably wants to. He likely wants to wait until the verdict is undeniable on his playing QB. When it is a bit later in his career, such that it's not as appetizing for him to transfer, Montgomery will probably voice the decision. Let's get back to this around the first 3 or 4 games of 2019(or before) and see what has happened.

They didnt bring in Zach to be the backup to Chad during Chad's senior year. There's writing on the wall, if Chad wants to read it. But he's a father. He may be just fine staying where he is at and leaving with a first class degree.

They didnt bring in Zach to be the backup to Chad during Chad's senior year. There's writing on the wall, if Chad wants to read it. But he's a father. He may be just fine staying where he is at and leaving with a first class degree.
Chad has a kid?

There’s actually four or five fathers out there risking their lives and their children’s future happiness just for your enjoyment on a Saturday.

Reactions: TULSARISING
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT