ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Softball OSU @ home then Conference begins

Tax Guy

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
Emily Watson and Tori Stafford were named Conference Pitcher and Player of the Week for last week.
We are currently 18-11 on the season.

Tulsa is at Home for OSU, then Conference play for a couple of weeks then OSU in Stillwater.

At the Beginning of the season OSU was ranked 21 behind Tulsa at 20.
OSU had dropped out and is now back up to 24.
They are 21-6 on the Season
They are second in the nation with 41 homers as a team
Their leadoff hitter is second in the nation with a .563 average and have a pitcher 3rd in the nation with a .041 ERA

OSU vs. common opponent or AAC
South Florida W 9-5
Connecticut W 8-0 (5)
Florida Atlantic W 5-3 (8) (Tulsa won 1-0)
Omaha W 8-0 (5) and 16-3 (5) (Tulsa won 8-0 (5))
Drake W 2-0 (Tulsa lost 2-7)
Saint Francis W 9-3 W 7-1 (Tulsa won 4-0)

OSU game is 5:00 PM Wednesday.
I'll add conference information after that.

Last edited:
@TulsaHurricane just posted:
"TONIGHT'S SOFTBALL GAME IS OFFICIALLY SOLD OUT! We will not be selling tickets at the gate for tonight's game. There is LIMITED AVAILABILITY for @utulsaGHC members to attend the game. GHC members must have their GHC card present & it is recommended that members arrive early."

So it should be 1,000 buts in seats to watch a softball game. That's pretty cool.

OSU starts conference play this weekend. Interested to see if they treat this game as a typical mid-week game because of that or if they play it like they would a conference tilt. OSU has one legit pitcher then a fairly big drop off from her. It will also be interesting to see if TU throws Watson.

The girl with the 0.41 ERA does have 13 appearances but only 3 starts (with 2 Complete Games) so she does appear to come in late in the games, as she did here pitching the 7th…and her ERA is now 0.40.
The rest of OSU’s lineup also appeared to be the girls with regular starts.

Wednesday Result W 2-0
OSU 0 Runs 3 Hits 0 Errors 4 LOB
Tulsa 2 Runs 6 Hits 0 Errors and 4 LOB
Hitting:
Morgan Neal 3 for 3 with 2 Triples
Rylie Spell Homered
Pitching:
Emily Watson 7 Innings 0 Runs 3 Hits 2 BB and 14 K

The girl with the 0.41 ERA does have 13 appearances but only 3 starts (with 2 Complete Games) so she does appear to come in late in the games, as she did here pitching the 7th…and her ERA is now 0.40.
The rest of OSU’s lineup also appeared to be the girls with regular starts.

Wednesday Result W 2-0
OSU 0 Runs 3 Hits 0 Errors 4 LOB
Tulsa 2 Runs 6 Hits 0 Errors and 4 LOB
Hitting:
Morgan Neal 3 for 3 with 2 Triples
Rylie Spell Homered
Pitching:
Emily Watson 7 Innings 0 Runs 3 Hits 2 BB and 14 K
Watson seems to be back in form from her early season control issues. TU needs to find a suitable #2 pitcher. Pochop seems to go in and out between having good stuff and getting lit up. Meinen seem to do better in relief and only for an inning or two before she turns the lineup over.

I think this team has more offense than last year. Estacado being back in form from 2 years ago is a must for the remainder of the season.

So now on to Conference games.
The Conference games are a 3 game series Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
In the past there has been a regional midweek game. Those are limited to this past OSU game, in a couple of weeks an away game at OSU and a couple weeks after that at home with OU (already sold out).

This is what the AAC looks like right now.

Memphis 21-7
Houston 19-8
Tulsa 19-11
USF 22-13
Wichita St 16-10
UCF 18-12
ECU 14-16
UConn 13-16

The first 2 weekends start with a trip to Central Florida and then at home with East Carolina.
As for common matchups UCF won again Butler 5-1 in the first week, Tulsa won 2-1 in the second week.
They also lost to Northern Iowa 0-11 (5), Tulsa game was canceled for weather.
This weekend schedule with UCF is:
Game 1 Friday 4:30 pm
Game 2 Saturday 1:00 pm
Game 3 Sunday 11:00 am

Last edited:
Friday’s Result L 0-1
UCF 1 Run on 1 Hit 0 Errors 0 LOB
Tulsa 0 Runs 4 Hits 0 Errors 5 LOB
Hitting:
Tulsa scatter 4 base hits.
Pitching:
Emily Watson 6 Innings 1 Run 1 Hit (HR) 0 BB and 10 K

Saturday’s Result L 1-2
UCF 2 Runs 7 Hits 1 Error 5 LOB
Tulsa 1 Run 8 Hits 1 Error 8 LOB
Hitting:
Shelby Estocado 2 for 4 with a HR
Haley Meinen 3 for 3
Sarah Briers was 1 for 1 a Double plus 2 SACs
Pitching:
Samantha Pochop 6 Innings 2 Runs 1 ER 7 Hits 0 BB 11 K

Sunday’s Result L 1-2
UCF 2 Runs 2 Hits 2 Errors 2 LOB
Tulsa 1 Run 6 Hits 0 Errors 5 LOB
Hitting:
Shelby Estocado was 3 for 3
Pitching:
Emily Watson 6 Innings 2 Runs 2 Hits 2 BB and 9 K

So Tulsa was swept on three 1 run games.
Pitching was outstanding.
Hitting was not beyond Estocado, who hit .500 for the weekend and is .407 for the season.
She is back in Center Field and Sara Briers has moved into the 3rd base spot. This seems to be working defensively.

East Carolina is up next.
ECU was 1-2 against Houston W 3-2 (8); L 7-10; and L 0-11 (6)
Thursday 6:00 pm
Friday 5:00 pm
Saturday Noon

Last edited:
It seems we are hitting OK, just not getting the timely hit. Watson gave up 3 hits on the weekend and took 2 Ls

I think I remember reading where we started off multiple innings with 2 straight hits and just couldn' get the runners across. Hitting is definitely improved, just need those timely hits as you said. Giving this programs history, I believe they'll get it figured out

I watch them whenever they play but it doesn't seem that Bargfeldt is a fan of the sacrifice much. I am. There are so many things that have to go right to plate a run from 2nd. Much easier and many more ways to do so when the runner is on 3rd.

Pisses me off every time the Red Sox get runners on 1st and 2nd and refuse to try to push them into scoring position and end up with nothing out of it.

Thats what i Ioved about the Royals from a couple years ago. They didn't have much power but had some of the most aggressive baserunning I've seen.
Yep. Well executed small ball and good pitching wins games. I especially like using the small ball early on to get a run on the board. Good starting pitchers usually become tougher when they've got a lead. The Red Sox have plenty of speed and guys who can handle a bat...add to it that you've got what should be a great starting rotation and one of the best pens in baseball and they should be a contender. I am hoping beyond hope that Cora gets them back to fundamental baseball because John Farrell wasted so many opportunities with that team.

This weekend is Thursday, Friday and Saturday and not Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
I've fixed it above too but the ECU schedule looks like this.
Thursday 6:00 pm
Friday 5:00 pm
Saturday Noon

Thursday’s Result W 5-0
ECU 0 Runs 3 Hits 1 Error 4 LOB
Tulsa 5 Runs 8 Hits 0 Errors 3 LOB
Hitting:
Rylie Spell was 2 for 3 with a HR
Shannon Hughes was 2 for 3
Morgan Neal and Tori Stafford both Doubled with 2 RBI.
Pitching:
Emily Watson 7 Innings 0 Runs 3 Hits 1 BB and 11 K

All 5 runs came in the 5th inning on 5 Hits (starting with Spell’s HR)
After chasing the starting pitcher 5 more hitters came to the plate.

Friday’s Result W 4-1
ECU 1 Run 7 Hits 1 Error 8 LOB
Tulsa 4 Runs 10 Hits 1 Error 9 LOB
Hitting:
Julia Hollingsworth 2 for 3
Haley Meinen 2 for 3 both Doubles
Sara Briers was 3 for 3 and a Stolen Base
Shelby Estocado also Doubled
Pitching:
Samantha Pochop 4 Innings 1 Run 3 Hits 1 BB and 5 K
Emily Watson 3 Innings 0 Runs 4 Hits 0 BB and 4 K

Saturday’s Results W 9-0 (5)
ECU 0 Runs 1 Hit 0 Errors 2 LOB
Tulsa 9 Runs 7 Hits 0 Errors 8 LOB
Hitting:
Haley Meinen 2 for 3
Mikayla Whitten 2 for 2 with a Stolen Base
Pitching:
Emily Watson: 5 Innings 0 Runs 1 Hit 1 BB and 8 K

OSU is Wednesday at 5:30 in Stillwater.
Since last meeting OSU went 2-1 with both Iowa State and Texas Tech. They also lost to Wichita State 3-5.

TU just beat OSU for the 2nd time, 7-4 in Stilly. All 4 OSU runs were unearned. TU got the clutch hits they’ve been craving all season and a couple were multiple baggers.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Wednesday’s Result W 7-4
Tulsa 7 Runs 11 Hits 1 Error 7 LOB
OSU 4 Runs 9 Hits 2 Errors 6 LOB
Hitting:
Shelby Estocado 2 for 3 with a Double and a SAC 2 RBI
Tori Stafford 2 for 4 3 RBI
Shannon Hughes 2 for 3 with a Double
Morgan Neal also Doubled
Rylie Spell Homered
Pitching:
Emily Watson 7 Innings 4 Runs 0 ER 0 BB and 9 K

Most notable to me was that there was production all down the lineup from 8 different hitters.
Also notable was UCF beat #4 Florida 1-0

Wednesday’s Result W 7-4
Tulsa 7 Runs 11 Hits 1 Error 7 LOB
OSU 4 Runs 9 Hits 2 Errors 6 LOB
Hitting:
Shelby Estocado 2 for 3 with a Double and a SAC 2 RBI
Tori Stafford 2 for 4 3 RBI
Shannon Hughes 2 for 3 with a Double
Morgan Neal also Doubled
Rylie Spell Homered
Pitching:
Emily Watson 7 Innings 4 Runs 0 ER 0 BB and 9 K

Most notable to me was that there was production all down the lineup from 8 different hitters.
Also notable was UCF beat #4 Florida 1-0
Yeah, I'm thinking UCF is pretty good this season and they've got a pitcher that can keep the best lineups down, sort of like Watson. That series is not the gloom and doom SoftballDad wanted to paint it as.

Yeah, I'm thinking UCF is pretty good this season and they've got a pitcher that can keep the best lineups down, sort of like Watson. That series is not the gloom and doom SoftballDad wanted to paint it as.[/QUOTE

UCF rpi is awful as is Tulsa..team cant hit..98th in NCAA..awful..zero chance Tulsa makes a regional absent winning conf tourney..inexcusable with 7 returning starters and a top 15 pitcher...Strimple the hitting coach is bad..should be at grade school..

Never said forever I don't think and when mentioned I will respond....can't address the facts? 98th in hitting..abysmal!!

Team batting average up to .285 Had a good week. Hitting is contagious. Hopefully they keep it up. They all seemed in good spirits and loose against OSU. Good to see. Wichita State has a nice team and a sweep would be impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT