ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Softball 5 Conference weekends with Oklahoma in the middle

Tax Guy

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
I plan on this being the last of the regular season threads unless this turns into a pissing match too.
Wichita(away), USF(home), Oklahoma(midweek home), Houston(away), Memphis(away), and wrapping up with Connecticut(home).

First up is a trip to Wichita State
They are 21-12 overall and 4-2 in conference.
They went 1-2 again Memphis L 2-3; W 11-1 and L 7-10
Swept UConn 11-3 8 -2 and 4-3
Several other common opponent games:
They split with Iowa L 2-3 and W 12-5; Tulsa lost 3-11
They also beat OSU 5-3 in between Tulsa beating them 2-0 and 7-4
They beat Missouri State 3-1 and 7-7, Tulsa lost 6-7
They played a 3 games series with Nebraska W 6-2; L 1-3; and W 8-0. Tulsa lost 2-3

The normal Friday, Saturday, Sunday weekend has been pushed back because of weather in Wichita.
Game 1 is Saturday at 3:00
Game 2 is Sunday at Noon
Game 3 follows Game 2.

Schedule Update:
Saturday's game has been pushed back to 5:00
Sunday's games is now at 2:00

Weekend Results 2-1
Game 1 W 9-3

Tulsa 9 Runs 13 Hits 0 Errors 9 LOB
Wichita State 3 Runs 6 Hits 1 Error 4 LOB
Hitting:
Julia Hollingsworth 2 for 3 and a SB
Haley Meinen 3 for 4 with 2 Doubles
Tori Stafford 2 for 4
Mikayla Whitten 3 for 4 with 2 Doubles and a SB
Shelby Estocado with an HR
Pitching:
Emily Watson 7 Inning 3 Runs 6 Hits 1 BB 11 K

Game 2 L 5-14 (5)
Tulsa 5 Runs 10 Hits 2 Errors 8 LOB
Wichita State 14 Runs 14 Hits 2 Errors 5 LOB
Hitting:
Julia Hollingsworth 2 for 4
Shelby Estocado 2 for 3 with a Double
Morgan Neal 3 for 3 with a Double
Rylie Spell also Doubled
Pitching:
Samantha Pochop 3.2 Innings 10 Runs 12 Hits 1 BB and 1 K
Haley Meinen .1 inning 4 Runs 2 ER 2 BB and 0 K

Game 3 W 3-2
Tulsa 3 Runs 6 Hits 0 Errors 6 LOB
Wichita State 2 runs 7 Hits 1 Error 7 LOB
Hitting:
Julia Hollingsworth 2 for 4
Shannon Hughes with a HR
Pitching:
Emily Watson 7 Innings 2 Runs 7 Hits 1 BB and 6 K

Nice to see the bats warming up a bit - have gone 6-1 in last seven games and scored more than 40 runs.

It's a different team when Emily is pitching.
Absolutely. She is one of the best in the country. Pochop is going to be good...eventually with some continued growth and technique improvements. I wouldn't be surprised if Watson pitches every inning this weekend if she is effective. The series against USF is too important in the league for TU to not take 2 of 3.

I hope Watson stays on as a graduate assistant when she graduates. If anything just so others can watch her and get her form down.

The current conference standings look like this
USF 7-2
UCF 6-3
Memphis 5-4
Tulsa 5-4
Wichita State 5-4
Houston 4-5
UCU 2-7
UConn 2-7

Tulsa and Wichita State are now receiving votes in one poll
South Florida and Memphis are in the other.

USF comes to Tulsa this weekend.
USF is 29-15 Overall. They swept UConn, took the series with Memphis and Houston for the 7-2 conference record.
With other common opponents they lost to Drake 1-4, Tulsa lost 2-7. They beat Illinois State 3-0, Tulsa won 6-1. They lost to Ok State 5-9, Tulsa won 2 games 2-0 and 7-4.

Really needing a reliable #2 behind Watson
I was thinking this the other day, seems like one major difference from last year is last year we had some other pitchers who could pretty reliably get some outs, at least on the bottom part of the schedule and we haven’t found that this year so we’ve struggled with some teams that we should be able to beat.

For those that Facebook, the American Athletic Conference page will live stream Friday's USF at Tulsa game.

Reactions: Rippin
I was thinking this the other day, seems like one major difference from last year is last year we had some other pitchers who could pretty reliably get some outs, at least on the bottom part of the schedule and we haven’t found that this year so we’ve struggled with some teams that we should be able to beat.
Last year we had the same pitcher we have this year. Watson has been the only reliable, you-know-what-you're-getting arm every time she hits the mound. Meinen is good for 2-3 innings or about 1 time through the lineup. Pochop is a FR and has some potential but she seems to have some control and/or confidence issues early on in games if she gives up a couple of hits/baserunners.

Hoping Watson doesn’t wear down. I understand pitching her 14 plus innings in the weekend conference series. Throwing her 7 in midweek games in addition to her weekend load does seem a little much. However, it is softball.

Last year we had the same pitcher we have this year. Watson has been the only reliable, you-know-what-you're-getting arm every time she hits the mound. Meinen is good for 2-3 innings or about 1 time through the lineup. Pochop is a FR and has some potential but she seems to have some control and/or confidence issues early on in games if she gives up a couple of hits/baserunners.
The non-starter pitchers have given up 40 ER in 48 innings. I’m pretty sure they were more in the 3 or 4 Era range last year. If Pochop isn’t on in her starts, it’s tough sledding.

Weekend Results 1-2
Friday L 1-3

USF 3 Runs 8 Hits 1 Error 6 LOB
Tulsa 1 Run 6 Hits 1 Error 6 LOB
Hitting:
Shelby Estocado and Sarah Briers both Doubled.
Pitching:
Emily Watson 7 Innings 3 Runs 8 Hits 1 BB 8 K
Saturday L 6-8
USF 8 runs 12 Hits 1 Error 10 LOB
Tulsa 6 Runs 7 Hits 4 Errors 3 LOB
Hitting:
Morgan Neal 2 for 4 with a Double
Mikayla Whitten 2 for 3 with a Triple
Haley Meinen and Rylie Spell both Homered
Pitching:
Emily Watson (L) 6 innings 6 runs 4 ER 9 Hits 4 BB and 6 K
Haley Meinen 1 inning 2 Runs 1 ER 3 Hits 0 BB and 0 K
Sunday W 3-1
USF 1 Run 6 Hits 0 Errors 4 LOB
Tulsa 3 Runs 4 Hits 1 Error 3 LOB
Hitting:
Julia Hollingsworth 2 for 3 with a triple
Rylie Spell with a RBI SAC fly
Pitching:
Samantha Pochop 7 Innings 1 Run 6 Hits 0 BB and 6 K

In Game 1 Watson gave up 2 HR balls.
In Game 2 Defense broke down and didn’t support.
In Game 3. Parts came together and the Freshman pitcher was on.

Oklahoma comes to town Tuesday at 6:00
One of the best teams in the country.
According to the polls by far the best team in the country not in the PAC-12 or SEC, being the only one of two in the top 15.
Wichita State went to Norman last week and took a 6-0 lead into the 6th inning when “Oklahoma Magic” took over. OU won 7-6

Last edited:
TU's current RPI is #51. We have some work to do if we hope to make the tourney.

TU's current RPI is #51. We have some work to do if we hope to make the tourney.
Agreed. Watson's pitching has been uneven. And when someone happens to get the bat on the ball, it seems to travel a long way. Gm 2 this weekend was pretty uncharacteristic. TU's defensive play has been pretty solid so far this year.

Good to see Pochop able to have an outing like that.

Tuesday L 0-1
Oklahoma 1 Run 3 Hits 0 Errors 5 LOB
Tulsa 0 Runs 3 Hits 0 Errors 3 LOB
Pitching:
Emily Watson 7 Innings 1 Run 3 Hits 3 BB 1 HBP and 5 K

Classic Pitching duel. 3 hits for each team. I HR ball was the difference.

Next up Houston in Houston.

Conference Standing as of now.
USF 9-3
UCF 8-4
Memphis 6-6
Houston 6-6
Tulsa 6-6
Wichita State 6-6
ECU 5-7
UConn 2-10

Tulsa is now 26-18 overall
Houston is 27-16 overall.
The 6-6 Conference record is:
2-1 with ECU Tulsa was 3-0
1-2 with USF Tulsa also went 1-2
1-2 with UCF Tulsa went 0-3
2-1 with Wichita State Tulsa also was 2-1

Schedule:
Friday 6:00
Saturday 2:00
Sunday 11:00

Home run to win plagues Watson and Tulsa yet again. This team over achieved last
year with the help of the Withee sisters. It would be a miracle to see the same ending.
Recruiting is down a notch or two. Too many players on the roster don't get any action.

We’re approaching the scenario where we have to win the conference tourney to get to post season. We’ve been throwing Watson three full games a week for the last few weeks. Is she wearing down a bit ?

No Emily Watson is fine, she has thrown more than good enough to win...she could have easily won 3 games at UCF, OU and Houston...Guys, I'm telling you that if you dont value hitting and really practice live hitting you wont hit...to get 3 rounds of 6 a week live bp just isnt enough..contrast that to SEC players I know they get 3 rounds of 12-15 live every practice day..they hit early on away game days Tulsa doesnt...they get detailed scouting reports..Tulsa doesnt...their hitters know what a pitcher they have faced before threw every pitch to them and what location..you guys would be stunned to really know the lack of coaching on the hitting side up there in Tulsa...its true!

Good defense is important but Good offense is even more so. If I was being
recruited because of my offense I would not go to a school who did not spend optimum
time hitting. We've had some good hitters here in the past. What has changed? The
girls seem to make decent contact but right at the fielder for easy outs. This is not a
fun team to watch.

First, they had better players back with Hughes, Sampson, Cobb, Barrett, Henshaw etc...As far as how they practiced In not sure but what I do know is how some other teams hit and for whatever reason Tulsa doesnt hit at the rate they do. Also, far too many misses in recruiting lately...only real plus players now are Hollingsworth, Neal and Estacado and Meinen..they are the only players that could play at other top 20 type schools and of course Watson..imo

No Emily Watson is fine, she has thrown more than good enough to win...she could have easily won 3 games at UCF, OU and Houston...Guys, I'm telling you that if you dont value hitting and really practice live hitting you wont hit...to get 3 rounds of 6 a week live bp just isnt enough..contrast that to SEC players I know they get 3 rounds of 12-15 live every practice day..they hit early on away game days Tulsa doesnt...they get detailed scouting reports..Tulsa doesnt...their hitters know what a pitcher they have faced before threw every pitch to them and what location..you guys would be stunned to really know the lack of coaching on the hitting side up there in Tulsa...its true!

Welcome to Groundhogs Day.

Yeah, like you don't know what that means. It's true so you blow it off as being meaningless.

whatever that means
Groundhog Day is a 1993 American comedy film directed by Harold Ramis and written by Ramis and Danny Rubin. It stars Bill Murray as Phil Connors, a TV weatherman who, during an assignment covering the annual Groundhog Day event, is caught in a time loop, repeating the same day repeatedly.“

I referenced that movie as an analogy to your posting. In the movie, the star relives the same day over and over. Because of the movie, the phrase “Groundhog Day” has developed a meaning in common culture of an event that repeats endlessly. In the movie, the star became depressed and suicidal about being stuck in the time loop. Thus the term in the vernacular has come to mean not only being stuck in a time loop, but being stuck in a way that is highly unpleasant or miserable. It has a meaning similar to the phrase “same sh@$, different day” if you have heard that before.

My point is that you post the same thing over and over, and it has become miserable for everyone who is stuck in your metaphorical time loop.

I hope that explanation was helpful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day_(film)

Gotcha...why do you get miserable with facts..its 100% truth..i have no reason to lie nor does the kid...the fact is this staff prefers pitching/defense over hitting...didnt say it's right or wrong just explains lack of hitting

Gotcha...why do you get miserable with facts..its 100% truth..i have no reason to lie nor does the kid...the fact is this staff prefers pitching/defense over hitting...didnt say it's right or wrong just explains lack of hitting
Restatement in a way that attempts to make your point look sympathetic and is dishonest, doesn't change the groundhog day analogy.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Yeah right. That's why you stated it like you did. Was an attempt to win the argument through something other than your argument. It was a dramatically different tone than most of your abrasive arguments on here. You were definitely trying to use sympathy as a tool. You failed.

hey man...i tell it factually true as told to me by multiple ppl/ players...you don't like fine I don't give a damn but the fact is they don't hit well because they dont practice it alot...those are facts you don't know because you aren't there...btw, 1 freshmen already notified JB they are leaving...could be more as many cant stand staff...

If you don't give a damn then why are you on here spouting this bull :crap: repetitively for a couple of years when nobody wants to hear it except you. Apparently you do give a damn or you wouldn't be on here spouting this drivel over and over. You are just a troll that wants to cause as much trouble for this coaching staff as you possibly can. You aren't causing the coaching staff any trouble, you are just annoying the heck out of this board. What a jackass you are.

Reactions: 4tu2
what are boards for moron? losermoney go to any message and u will see similar content...i would think u would care about winning but I guess not..maybe you are so accustomed to losing at everything u do in life you just don't care...you just hate that somebody has the facts on why your little :crap:ty softball sucks ass and you have garbage for coaches...same players virtually as last year and headed for losing record or close to it...what a loser...losermoney

Looky there, I got the dumbass pissed off and calling me names. Success.

when you see a freshmen transfer then you will know I know what I'm talking about..another kid that will be a 3 or 4 yr starter her fam is begging her to leave because it's so bad around there...most negative environment that I've ever seen...answer this losermoney, if im accurate then what?

I'm a republican you troglodyte, I'll follow Trump off a cliff dumbass. You couldn't read a book much less a person.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT