ADVERTISEMENT

12 Team Playoff Model Being Favored

goldfan83

I.T.S. Position Coach
Aug 19, 2005
It is looking like they may expand the playoffs to include 12 teams. I would love to see 16 but this is 10,000% better than the crap system they have now.

It is looking like they may expand the playoffs to include 12 teams. I would love to see 16 but this is 10,000% better than the crap system they have now.

3 sec teams, 3 big 10 teams, 2 big 12 teams, 2 from the ACC and PAC 12, one G5 and Notre Dame.

3 sec teams, 3 big 10 teams, 2 big 12 teams, 2 from the ACC and PAC 12, one G5 and Notre Dame.
If ND gets in every year, sometimes with six losses, it will be a travesty, but I will take over this :crap: system where there are 2 SEC teams, OU getting blown out by 50, and another ACC or Big 10 team.

The NCAA tournament is great because there are chances for upsets. If you put a top non-P5 team, they will knock off one of the "big" teams from time to time like Boise, they will be all-time awesome games.

The NCAA has left so much money on the table in favor of a :crap: bowl system that only pays off bowl administrators and costs so many schools more money than they receive on a game. But the coaches believe they are clutch for recruiting and next season prep. They should just hold a spring scrimmage against a regional team. It would save everyone millions and make money for everyone.

Reactions: eastcane
AAC 1
ACC 1
BIG 10 1
BIG 12 1
PAC 12 1
SEC 1
MW/CUSA 1
At Large 5

This benefits nobody except the teams that want to borrow against playoff earnings to try and catch Alabama Clemson and Ohio State.

Im still waiting for someone to explain why we get the same $1.5 million for playing as Eastern Alabama Hot Dog Stand University in the Sun Belt and Vanderbilt gets $6.6 if they win 9 games or none.

The SEC made $80 million last year off the playoff payout. AAC made $22 in a good year.

The current system isn’t sustainable and expanding this playoff just advances the disparities but with the cosmetics of pretending to give the G5 a chance. Meanwhile Coastal Carolina will play one competitive game all year in their conference championship and will take the playoff spot in the pre-season poll. We could have two losses against Top 25 teams, but beat two or three other ranked teams and but lose to SMU and Houston and be on the outside looking in. That’s crazy.

Last edited:
Until every FBS conference champions gets in and all non-champs have to play a road game in first round it will be a farce. This change will be made to get more Pee on everyone else 5 teams into the playoff.
Do it like BB all champs and more money paid for advancing.

The Five Power Conference's Champs will be auto's. Rest will be at-large.

Occasionally they will let a none P5 in the playoffs. But only occasionally!!!!

GO TU!!!!

It needs to be expanded to 16 teams with EVERY conference champion in and the remainders for at-large births. Until this happens, G5 teams are playing in the same division (FBS) in name only.

It needs to be expanded to 16 teams with EVERY conference champion in and the remainders for at-large births. Until this happens, G5 teams are playing in the same division (FBS) in name only.
There's some elements of truth to that. There's a good chance that Cincinnati may be on the outside looking in like every one else. Coastal Carolina has a cupcake schedule and will run the table. That's just wrong.

With a 12 team playoff, I will be very surprised if they don’t throw the G5 a bone & guarantee one spot for the highest rated non-P5 team.

They do that with a New Year’s day bowl spot for the highest rated G5 in the current system. I think they will do the same thing with a 12 team playoff.

The letter the AAC sent to the p5 conferences was pretty straightforward. Even if nothing comes of it, I’m glad Aresco is at least pushing for our inclusion as an auto bid.

Even if they guarantee it, you know the top G5 team will never get anything but the play in game. Not that they ever considered us for the 4 team playoff. I can't wait for somebody from the AAC to win two games and make the 4 team playoff. That's the only way.

Even if they guarantee it, you know the top G5 team will never get anything but the play in game. Not that they ever considered us for the 4 team playoff. I can't wait for somebody from the AAC to win two games and make the 4 team playoff. That's the only way.

And that play-in game will be on the road. Now they only have to keep the G5 out of the top 4. Next they will keep them out of the top 8.

And that play-in game will be on the road. Now they only have to keep the G5 out of the top 4. Next they will keep them out of the top 8.
I haven't paid much attention to the details of the proposed playoff. I assumed they were going to stay with the bowl format for the first round, and it wouldn't be a home 🏠 game for any of the teams? Are they talking bout ditching the bowls for the playoff teams?

I figured only the winners of the first round, and the four top 🔝 teams with byes were going to be in games that weren't bowls, just like in the championship match when it was only four teams.

They’re talking about the first round of games being home games for the higher seeded team, 12@5, 11@6, 10@7 and 9@8. I’m assuming the rest would be at bowl sites.

They’re talking about the first round of games being home games for the higher seeded team, 12@5, 11@6, 10@7 and 9@8. I’m assuming the rest would be at bowl sites.
Thanks.

So wow, does all the top bowls disappear? No more Orange, Sugar, Rose, etc.? Or are they subjugated to carrying lesser teams, and becoming not so important?

Well, 8 teams would fill 7 bowls with a winner moves on format. 6 if the championship game remains separate.

Well, 8 teams would fill 7 bowls with a winner moves on format. 6 if the championship game remains separate.
Not if the first round of the playoffs is going to truly be home and away. The Rose bowl isn't really the Rose bowl if it's not in Pasadena, etc. The Rose Bowl parade wouldn't be the same on Anytown USA St., versus Orange Grove Blvd. That's the seven major bowls that either wouldn't have the top 12 teams, or would be relocated every year, if they really make it a home game.

After that first round you still have 8 teams left so that’s 4 quarterfinal games and 2 semifinal games. They wouldn’t all be on NYD but honestly there are only a few games that day anyway. I don’t know the current pecking order but you could have quarterfinals in the Peach, Cotton, Orange, and Fiesta the last week of December then semis in Rose and Sugar the first week of January and the championship a week later. Most of those bowls would get higher ranked teams than they are now with conference tie ins.

After that first round you still have 8 teams left so that’s 4 quarterfinal games and 2 semifinal games. They wouldn’t all be on NYD but honestly there are only a few games that day anyway. I don’t know the current pecking order but you could have quarterfinals in the Peach, Cotton, Orange, and Fiesta the last week of December then semis in Rose and Sugar the first week of January and the championship a week later. Most of those bowls would get higher ranked teams than they are now with conference tie ins.
Doh! I wasn't thinking bout them just doing the opening round before the bowl games were in play. That makes more sense than my addled brain was processing. 4/2/1 makes 7.(25 or 6 to 4) The 4 who lost in the first round, wouldn't have an official bowl game, but I doubt they'll be complaining.

It'll be really tough to make it to the championship, without a bye.

I don’t get why we always have to give a team multiple advantages. Seeding is supposed to be the advantage you play the regular season for. A playoff or a championship should be neutral site if at all possible unless it’s part of a multi-game series. If you’re only playing one game, you treat it like the super bowl, March madness, or the World Cup and play it at a neutral location. (Still allowing the host location making it into the playoff / championship though.)

This expansion to 12 is absolute garbage. The expansion needs to be to 8 teams and no more. You have the conference winners from the Power 5 conferences, the top team Conference winner from the Group of 5 and then 2 at large teams. The teams would be seeded by ranking. This can be handled two ways.

Way 1 - The top 4 seeds have a home game and this game is played the weekend after Champ week. This game does not disqualify the losers from participating in a Bowl game. The winners will play in the current 4 team playoff in the bowl setting.

Way 2 - Four more bowls are added to the playoff structure allowing a team to win two bowl games in a year. The winners would play in the current Playoff structure. Now personally this is stupid having a team win two bowl games, however how many of the bowls will actually come back from the pandemic? I think there are too many bowls anyway as we have teams getting in with losing records and teams with winning records being left out. Teams shouldn't even be invited to bowl games until after champ week.

This should not be expanded to 12 teams period. Now if they gave the American a designation as a Power 6 school then they could go to 9 teams for a playoff structured this way

The 6 conference champs from the Power 6, 1 Group of 4 (Unless they designate another conference to have a new Group of 5) and 2 at large. They would be seeded by ranking. Play in game during champ week with the 8 and 9 seed. Top 4 seeds play a home game against the remaining lower 4 seeds. The winners play in the current Playoff structure and the losers advance to a bowl game.

This expansion to 12 is absolute garbage. The expansion needs to be to 8 teams and no more. You have the conference winners from the Power 5 conferences, the top team Conference winner from the Group of 5 and then 2 at large teams. The teams would be seeded by ranking. This can be handled two ways.

Way 1 - The top 4 seeds have a home game and this game is played the weekend after Champ week. This game does not disqualify the losers from participating in a Bowl game. The winners will play in the current 4 team playoff in the bowl setting.

Way 2 - Four more bowls are added to the playoff structure allowing a team to win two bowl games in a year. The winners would play in the current Playoff structure. Now personally this is stupid having a team win two bowl games, however how many of the bowls will actually come back from the pandemic? I think there are too many bowls anyway as we have teams getting in with losing records and teams with winning records being left out. Teams shouldn't even be invited to bowl games until after champ week.

This should not be expanded to 12 teams period. Now if they gave the American a designation as a Power 6 school then they could go to 9 teams for a playoff structured this way

The 6 conference champs from the Power 6, 1 Group of 4 (Unless they designate another conference to have a new Group of 5) and 2 at large. They would be seeded by ranking. Play in game during champ week with the 8 and 9 seed. Top 4 seeds play a home game against the remaining lower 4 seeds. The winners play in the current Playoff structure and the losers advance to a bowl game.

The 12 team playoff will generate way too much money to turn down. Projections exceed $2 billion per year, or almost twice as much as what their basketball tourney pulls in each year.

The 12 team playoff will generate way too much money to turn down. Projections exceed $2 billion per year, or almost twice as much as what their basketball tourney pulls in each year.
Then they need to get rid of the bowl structure as a 12 team playoff will destroy it because all of the bowls are now devalued. Some ideas are not good ideas. This is called not a good idea.

How much of that will be the players's cut?

The Five Power Conference's Champs will be auto's. Rest will be at-large.

Occasionally they will let a none P5 in the playoffs. But only occasionally!!!!

GO TU!!!!

It’s the 6 highest rated conference champions plus the 6 next at-large. No auto bids. PAC 12 is already complaining that their champ may not qualify every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT