ADVERTISEMENT

100+ yard rushers in a game

TUcandoit

I.T.S. Senior
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2011
We had 2 running backs hit the century mark against UConn. We had another running back within single digits and a 4th not too far away. Has there ever been 3 100+ yard running backs in a single game before? Or a 4th? I was hoping to see it and maybe get another NCAA College Record to be enshrined.

We had 2 running backs hit the century mark against UConn. We had another running back within single digits and a 4th not too far away. Has there ever been 3 100+ yard running backs in a single game before? Or a 4th? I was hoping to see it and maybe get another NCAA College Record to be enshrined.
This is another area where Monty is too set in his ways. There are situations where Javon Thomas should absolutely be on the field instead of sticking with the 2 back system. The punishment he lays on defenders should be criminal. He knocked one dude out who tried to get in his way and then trucked another DB. I think he could be the next Alex Singleton we've all been craving for the last 6 years.

As for TK...he runs like Flanders. He trusts where the hole will be and hits it hard. Flanders was such a great back for being able to do that versus Brewer's jump cuts and creating space which works sometimes but also slows you down a bit before finding that open space. Our RBs need to trust the hole will be there and hit it. 4 yards a pop is a 1st down every 3rd time you run it.

The last time it happened for us was in 2017. Brewer, Brooks and President all rushed for over 100 yards at Toledo.

Reactions: TUcandoit
OU has several blow out games in the 80s with three or four guys over 100. The ‘88 KState game there were 2 over 100 by half time.

Reactions: TUcandoit
Monty need an OC to put this offense together. Monty has an Offensive system but he has abundant of talent at some positions and weak at others. We should go with some two back set with a TE and 2 WR; two backs and 3 WR and one back and 4 WR. I love to see Shamari and Taylor next to boomer or Taylor and Thomas together or motion Anderson into the back field to run Rpo or shovel pass.

Monty need an OC to put this offense together. Monty has an Offensive system but he has abundant of talent at some positions and weak at others. We should go with some two back set with a TE and 2 WR; two backs and 3 WR and one back and 4 WR. I love to see Shamari and Taylor next to boomer or Taylor and Thomas together or motion Anderson into the back field to run Rpo or shovel pass.
If I thought I could trust him to not fumble all the time, I'd like to see Hobbs line up in the backfield and use him the way the Patriots have been using Cordarelle Patterson. Hobbs is about the same size as Patterson. Not only that, on the downs you don't hand it to him, you swing him out in a pattern and now you have a WR lined up against a LBer in most cases.Different looks.

The swing pass that Neph caught was a really good look at what you can do by feigning a down block and releasing. Of course the OL held up and gave Boomer some time to make that check down. Our offense is incredibly simple provided the right read is made AND you trust the QB to make the call. Most of the time, we get beat because defenses line up in a base defense and bait us into running into the line after the 'check with me' call from the sideline. Defense then adjusts the look after that call is made and it's too late for the QB to check out of it. When we go fast and dictate pace, defenses can't do that. In the 2nd quarter on Saturday, we were one step ahead of UCONN on every play call. All it took was the one pass to Hobbs to free things up and the safeties had to start staying home. The play fake and pass to Johnson...now the safeties have to start staying home. Heck, Boomer had another nice throw to Johnson on an in curl and it went right through Johnson's hands. Understandable with the rain, but a pass that probably should be caught none the less. The slant to Stewart who ran a great route. The play for the TD to Stokes, Stokes was lined up in the backfield and after the play fake, he leaked for the drag route to the flag (lined up against a zone defense with a LB trying to cover him). This is what I was talking about keeping the defense off balance. The running game then opened up...which further opened up more passing. I get that UCONN is not a great team, but these plays work against a lot of teams when you trust the QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT