ADVERTISEMENT

TU Recruiting? Fish Off Your Own Dock-And They Did!

Oak775

I.T.S. Sophomore
Gold Member
May 31, 2020
When the staff came in they were extremely pressed for time. A longer duration to recruit, sure you would spend more time in Texas and other places too. Yet, as I mentioned, and we all know, with coaches being “thoughtfully“ added to the staff, along with time compression, I thought the staff did well.

Thoughts:

1. Before you take your boat across the lake just simply fish off your own dock at the marina, recruit here in Oklahoma. The staff fished off their own dock, and they did well.

2. We all know. This program has had to ALWAYS swing and fight way above its weight class. This years class is another example of taking kids in who need a new position, were undiscovered, need more time in the weight room, etc..

3. Not a criticism but an observation, no portal transfer offensive lineman. Possibly when the spring portal opens up after spring practices across the nation wrap up? We’ll see another flurry of players hit the portal.

The staff was thoughtful and deliberate. We all know there’s a lot of moving parts to a college football team.

Very well said, Oak. When you look at the Chris Chamberlains and the Zavens that have been here, TU has been good at taking guys with good raw talent, but maybe playing out of position. I have faith that the S&C program will get them to the size they need to be, and this experienced staff will coach them up to their potential.

A really good class given the severe time crunch.

I've seen coaches come & go from Cooper to Monty. But this guy......this guy is different. So much big time football experience, so many big time coaching contacts, he's said repeatedly that "recruiting is all about relationships" so he started building them and renewing them right out of the gate. He knows what he wants and needs to be successful & goes after it & to date, gets it.

It just makes a guy wonder how we bagged someone like this here at l'll 'ol TU(thanks again Rick D.) But who cares...he's here and he's ours. Now, laissez les bons temps roulez!

I've seen coaches come & go from Cooper to Monty. But this guy......this guy is different. So much big time football experience, so many big time coaching contacts, he's said repeatedly that "recruiting is all about relationships" so he started building them and renewing them right out of the gate. He knows what he wants and needs to be successful & goes after it & to date, gets it.

It just makes a guy wonder how we bagged someone like this here at l'll 'ol TU(thanks again Rick D.) But who cares...he's here and he's ours. Now, laissez les bons temps roulez!
Well said…

Agree completely, quincy. He is different from what we are used to.

I know people have tried to bag on his time at Indiana. To me, that was a big plus, not a negative. Even though they are in the B1G, they certainly didn’t get the blue chippers…I’m sure Mich, MSU, tOSU and ND skimmed the cream off the top up there. So he understands finding those under-appreciated guys who can be made into players with the right development.

Plus I think he is looking at this as his last job, not for the next best job.

I know people have tried to bag on his time at Indiana
His winning % at Indiana was something like 35%, although he certainly laid the foundation for recent success at that school. I imagine Urban Meyer vetted his time there in depth before turning his offense over to him. So, whatever came before did not bother Coach Meyer. Then followed many Big10 championships and CFP's. Our guy just wants to be a head coach again and he & TU football will be better for it.

Plus I think he is looking at this as his last job, not for the next best job.
:rofl:

He’s at TU because he doesn’t have any other current options at the FBS level and hasn’t had them since he was fired/resigned at Indiana. He’s trying to rebuild his reputation and career. Which is tough when your resume includes never winning more than 6 games in a year as an HC, alleged player mistreatment at IU and being Urban Meyer’s disciplinarian.

But TU is a great place and a distressed property you can flip. There’s a core of great players and a bunch of dead weight. And he specializes in weeding out the non-hackers.

He’s here three years tops. He wins and moves on or his routine will get old quick inside the building.

It’s a great mutual benefit for the short term. He could be the perfect bridge coach for us or it could be a disaster. He needs to win and prove he can control himself at a school willing to take the risk for him to prove that. We need someone to restore direction, motivation, and accountability where it was severely lacking and provide core competencies that were never a consideration for the last decade.

The approach here appears to be to try and run a 1980’s Bobby Knight style basics and discipline first manager by shock and stress to improve the win total by +3 or +4. That will restore some of the local donations and keep the program from drowning under the weight of other commitments in the athletic department. Which a three or four game swing is achievable perhaps.

But eventually at school like TU, with both those approaches, it will leave you with players with no other opportunities or no place else to go. Just look at where TCU is now versus the last five years of Gary Patterson.

And even if the above wasn’t true, I absolutely do not want any employee, much less a football coach, thinking any job is their last. Again, look at Patterson.

As for what I really think about what’s going on here, I cannot share that for now. Maybe some day.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUDog

He’s at TU because he doesn’t have any other current options at the FBS level and hasn’t had them since he was fired/resigned at Indiana. He’s trying to rebuild his reputation and career. Which is tough when your resume includes never winning more than 6 games in a year as an HC, alleged player mistreatment at IU and being Urban Meyer’s disciplinarian.

But TU is a great place and a distressed property you can flip. There’s a core of great players and a bunch of dead weight. And he specializes in weeding out the non-hackers.

He’s here three years tops. He wins and moves on or his routine will get old quick inside the building.

It’s a great mutual benefit for the short term. He could be the perfect bridge coach for us or it could be a disaster. He needs to win and prove he can control himself at a school willing to take the risk for him to prove that. We need someone to restore direction, motivation, and accountability where it was severely lacking and provide core competencies that were never a consideration for the last decade.

The approach here appears to be to try and run a 1980’s Bobby Knight style basics and discipline first manager by shock and stress to improve the win total by +3 or +4. That will restore some of the local donations and keep the program from drowning under the weight of other commitments in the athletic department. Which a three or four game swing is achievable perhaps.

But eventually at school like TU, with both those approaches, it will leave you with players with no other opportunities or no place else to go. Just look at where TCU is now versus the last five years of Gary Patterson.

And even if the above wasn’t true, I absolutely do not want any employee, much less a football coach, thinking any job is their last. Again, look at Patterson.

As for what I really think about what’s going on here, I cannot share that for now. Maybe some day.
Geez why the sudden negativity? Something else going on behind the scenes?

Reactions: okie51
He can be no nonsense and distant and still quite successful with the right staff. Of course he cannot be abusive.

One way to achieve that is to limit interaction with the players in situations where tempers can flair.

It can be done. I used to have an angry streak but learned to control it. Part of that is managing the situations you put yourself into.

I’ve got a pretty good seat behind home plate and can call balls and strikes.

Now is a time from tremendous enthusiasm. They went a direction I would not have gone. There’s tremendous upside, but the risks are substantial. The danger includes seeing this as more than it is.

Now is a time from tremendous enthusiasm. They went a direction I would not have gone. There’s tremendous upside, but the risks are substantial. The danger includes seeing this as more than it is.

I know it's probably not a major cause. But is a small part of it affected by the fact that half the freshman he added are locals, and no matter where they came from, we did not compete with any of our competitors?(other than with CJ Turner)

I don't mind a short-timer if he can turn the program around and put the future on solid ground. The value of a TU scholarship is too dear for clockwatchers, so hopefully that mentality will diminish.

The "non-hackers" phrase always reminds me of "Full Metal Jacket," with Cowboy gasping his last breaths with "I can hack it."

I don't get that. We want to win. Whether he stays or goes after that is a problem I am fine with having.

Now if he is already getting abusive with folks at TU that is another problem altogether.

Reactions: Oak775
I don't get that. We want to win. Whether he stays or goes after that is a problem I am fine with having.

Now if he is already getting abusive with folks at TU that is another problem altogether.
I didn’t state or intend to imply that. Only that there’s a new sheriff in town and it will either work out for both and he will move on or it won’t work out and he will move on a little faster than some of the previous folks in the job.

Reactions: drboobay
I don't mind a short-timer if he can turn the program around and put the future on solid ground. The value of a TU scholarship is too dear for clockwatchers, so hopefully that mentality will diminish.

The "non-hackers" phrase always reminds me of "Full Metal Jacket," with Cowboy gasping his last breaths with "I can hack it."
And if you watch earlier in the movie, Gunnery Sgt. Hartman informs the recruits in the first few moments of the movie that his orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in his beloved Corps.

Reactions: Oak775 and crow4435
Wilson’s dad approach to coaching will be a shock to the system for some of our players in contrast to Monty’s mom approach. Both have their merits but the last few years it’s been apparent that we need a little more dad.
We need what ever approach brings us the best players we can get that fit the TU identity and keeps them on campus. In the short term, you are likely right.

We need what ever approach brings us the best players we can get that fit the TU identity and keeps them on campus.

Isn’t that always an unstated assumption though? Who would want someone if they can’t recruit good players and keep them on campus?

Wilson’s dad approach to coaching will be a shock to the system for some of our players in contrast to Monty’s mom approach. Both have their merits but the last few years it’s been apparent that we need a little more dad.
You don't know my parents.

Love seeing the security guys just tossing dudes back into the crowd. Crowd surfing be damned, your getting a real ride.

Reactions: HuffyCane

Bobby Knight was available?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT