ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Walters = Today's Republican Party

TulsaRulzOSUdrools

I.T.S. Sophomore
May 1, 2007
Grandstanding tagline BS to get paid spokesperson deals with Fox News.

When they are forced to lead, there is nothing there.

Truth hurts.

Compelling. Let’s take a State Superintendent of Public Education of a small state and assert he represents the entire national party.

• Haha
Reactions: TU Man
When he's spouting company lines & recent dogma...
I don’t know a single person who supports Ryan Walters. If the Dems don’t run someone who is viewed as a rubber stamp for the Teachers Union he won’t win next go around imo.

From what I've seen of him, his actions and his presentation, 100% Douchebag!
Maybe he means well, I don’t know, but seems to be an Ass.

Reactions: drboobay
If Getner Drummond runs for Governor it will be interesting to see who the teachers union supports. He’s a moderate by Oklahoma terms and could be an ally if the union supports him. However, the union has a history of stupid decisions in supporting candidates who can’t win and then wondering why they aren’t supported in return.

Hopefully Walter’s runs and gets beat in the primary and is out of Oklahoma politics for good

Drummond has the balls to tell Republicans what they don't want to hear and do it. That wins lots a favorability with a lot of people.

Genter will win the governor's mansion in a landslide IMO.

I hope he runs against Walters so we get to have a good laugh.

I'd go for the 100% douchebag rather than he means well.

To be clear, I didn't say he means well, I said maybe he means well.
I haven't followed all the claims he's made and what he wants to do, to know if he has any legitimate plans to improve education in Oklahoma. Seems to me he only has a personal agenda to get what he wants.
I do think he's an Ass.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Drummond has the balls to tell Republicans what they don't want to hear and do it. That wins lots a favorability with a lot of people.

Genter will win the governor's mansion in a landslide IMO.

I hope he runs against Walters so we get to have a good laugh.
Until the Dems can find stronger candidates any Pub will win in a landslide (see Stitt). I do understand finding those candidates is difficult due to the current state of the Oklahoma Democratic Party. Nowhere but up from here though.

I don’t know a single person who supports Ryan Walters. If the Dems don’t run someone who is viewed as a rubber stamp for the Teachers Union he won’t win next go around imo.
Any person the Dems run will be accused of being a rubber stamp for the teachers union regardless if they are or not.

in order to fix a completely failed and broken education system, it is time for something completely different.

in order to get something completely different, and to get good people off their asses to run for offices and take this thing over, sometimes it has to hit bottom first. Walters is it hitting bottom. Someone do something about it if it means anything to you and bring something new to the table.

The solution is to offer every teacher 40% raises in exchange for voting to decertify the union and give up career employment protections so they become at will employees. The dead weight and non-performers will be out the door one way or another quickly. And those who remain will not only enjoy the fresh air but wonder why they tolerated mediocrity for so long.

Another potential solution is offering United States military veterans with 6 or more years of service who obtain an undergraduate degree in specific subjects, the opportunity to teach immediately in Oklahoma without apprenticeship obstacles, with the first ten years of service exempt from state income tax and free of property tax for up to ten years if they purchase their first home within the first five years of service.

End the segregation era policies that permit independent school districts. It hurts kids and allows under performing teachers and administrators to perpetuate failing schools.

You’ve got two camps right now. One doesn’t want to fund schools except the students, schools and teachers they approve of. The other camp makes Somali warlords hoarding UN food and charitable donations from the populace look like amateurs.

Break the log jam of funding and get it away from the current entrenched interest groups. Fund incentives directly to teachers. The political illegitimacy you are concerned about will soon subside once leverage is reduced.

Last edited:
The solution is to offer every teacher 40% raises in exchange for voting to decertify the union and give up career employment protections so they become at will employees. The dead weight and non-performers will be out the door one way or another quickly. And those who remain will not only enjoy the fresh air but wonder why they tolerated mediocrity for so long.

Another potential solution is offering United States military veterans with 6 or more years of service who obtain an undergraduate degree in specific subjects, the opportunity to teach immediately in Oklahoma without apprenticeship obstacles, with the first ten years of service exempt from state income tax and free of property tax for up to ten years if they purchase their first home within the first five years of service.
It is not all about teacher quality and motivation.

Kids in economically disadvantaged circumstances have barriers to learning starting prenatally in many circumstances. And these problems seem to build upon themselves.

That's not to give up on them or say nothing can be done. They need extra and well conceived interventions that enhance both their school and home environment. They also need talented and motivated teachers. Unfortunately, this is one area where the free market does not work too well.

Very true. It’s time to get rid of the independent school districts so everyone has a chance to learn and kids like those you are referring to have a reasonable chance of over coming deficits from a variety of sources.

You’ve got two camps fighting over the structure and people saying that’s the problem when it’s the structure itself that’s the problem.

The education system has never adjusted to the idea that we can’t just pay the lowest bidder to teach our kids in a modern society where the brightest aspiring K-12 teachers, mostly but not all women, no longer teach but pursue highly compensated positions.

Jenks and Union provide tremendous tangible and intangible benefits to their teachers versus TPS. You gotta undo that, but at the bottom line and in mind set as well. The unions aren’t helping.

It is not all about teacher quality and motivation.

Kids in economically disadvantaged circumstances have barriers to learning starting prenatally in many circumstances. And these problems seem to build upon themselves.

That's not to give up on them or say nothing can be done. They need extra and well conceived interventions that enhance both their school and home environment. They also need talented and motivated teachers. Unfortunately, this is one area where the free market does not work too well.
Agree on all accounts. There are teachers who are burnt out and do the bare minimum. The parents who are involved with their kids studies know who these teachers are and go to great extremes so their kids don’t have them. This leaves already poor performing students with these teachers which increases their subpar academic performance. This also contributes to dropouts. Just a cycle.

Most teachers are part of the teachers union…. So you’re asking for someone who’s not a teacher to govern teachers.
That might be the case in Tulsa or OKC, but in the rural and suburban areas you would find that the majority are not. I left teaching three years ago, and in my 25 years in the classroom never paid a dime to the teachers union, nor did the majority of my coworkers.

As to Walters, he's an ignorant puppet that represents a far right portion of the Republican Party. As a lifelong Republican, he certainly doesn't represent my beliefs and values, nor do I believe that he represents the majority of Republicans. He is to the R party what AOC is to the D's. They scream the loudest and get the most attention from the media establishment that is entrenched in peddling the extremes of both parties to pad their bottom lines and wish to feel relevant.

Drummond would be a refreshing change and his family has plenty of F-YOU!!! money to not care about who he offends.

The solution is to offer every teacher 40% raises in exchange for voting to decertify the union and give up career employment protections so they become at will employees. The dead weight and non-performers will be out the door one way or another quickly. And those who remain will not only enjoy the fresh air but wonder why they tolerated mediocrity for so long. No.

Another potential solution is offering United States military veterans with 6 or more years of service who obtain an undergraduate degree in specific subjects, the opportunity to teach immediately in Oklahoma without apprenticeship obstacles, with the first ten years of service exempt from state income tax and free of property tax for up to ten years if they purchase their first home within the first five years of service. No.

End the segregation era policies that permit independent school districts. It hurts kids and allows under performing teachers and administrators to perpetuate failing schools. Sure, however it does water down good schools and can be detrimental to students who have good teachers or are in good programs.

You’ve got two camps right now. One doesn’t want to fund schools except the students, schools and teachers they approve of. The other camp makes Somali warlords hoarding UN food and charitable donations from the populace look like amateurs.

Break the log jam of funding and get it away from the current entrenched interest groups. Fund incentives directly to teachers. The political illegitimacy you are concerned about will soon subside once leverage is reduced.

Agree on all accounts. There are teachers who are burnt out and do the bare minimum. The parents who are involved with their kids studies know who these teachers are and go to great extremes so their kids don’t have them. This leaves already poor performing students with these teachers which increases their subpar academic performance. This also contributes to dropouts. Just a cycle.
We did not even mention that high achieving kids and those in more wealthy areas ALSO want great teachers. They may be even more demanding than those in disadvantaged areas and use their own dollars to make for a more appealing and enriching campus. And they are not wrong either to demand excellence. No simple answers that meet all rightful demands.

We did not even mention that high achieving kids and those in more wealthy areas ALSO want great teachers. They may be even more demanding than those in disadvantaged areas and use their own dollars to make for a more appealing and enriching campus. And they are not wrong either to demand excellence. No simple answers that meet all rightful demands.
If the current trend of eliminating honor or advance classes by school districts continues then I anticipate we will see those high achieving kids leaving public schools in large numbers. Further hurting our large public school districts.

If the current trend of eliminating honor or advance classes by school districts continues then I anticipate we will see those high achieving kids leaving public schools in large numbers. Further hurting our large public school districts.
That's a repulsive practice. Let's teach all kids how to be average, for equities sake. That way more kids go to college unprepared.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT