Austin Richie
George Christopolus
Isaiah Hill
Peter Hewitt
Simon Falokun
Zeke Moore
Chris Barnes
Geno Artison

The recruiting seemed to be on a downhill slope in the recent years. Seasons partially saved by players like Horne, Jackson, Rachal, and Joiner. Several of this list did better at other schools after they got little or no playing time at TU under Haith. We have been dying a slow death in recruiting for years. Wojcik actually had some really good recruits but never had that 5th starter that the defense needed to guard so our top players (Jerome Jordan) was doubled all the time and Wojcik could never make in-game adjustments.

Geno Artison
Josh Earley
Curtis Haywood 4 star
KES 4-star
Bradley Alcime
Christian Shumate
Emmanuel Ugboh
Austin Richie
George Christopolus
Isaiah Hill
Peter Hewitt
Simon Falokun
Zeke Moore
Chris Barnes
Geno Artison

The recruiting seemed to be on a downhill slope in the recent years. Seasons partially saved by players like Horne, Jackson, Rachal, and Joiner. Several of this list did better at other schools after they got little or no playing time at TU under Haith. We have been dying a slow death in recruiting for years. Wojcik actually had some really good recruits but never had that 5th starter that the defense needed to guard so our top players (Jerome Jordan) was doubled all the time and Wojcik could never make in-game adjustments.
Shumate is avg 12.5 pts, 9.3 rbs and shooting 35.1 from 3-pt
Keyshawn Williams is avg 17.9 pts, 4.7 rbs and shooting 35.3 from 3-pt.

They’d be playing a lot if still here.

Shumate is avg 12.5 pts, 9.3 rbs and shooting 35.1 from 3-pt
Keyshawn Williams is avg 17.9 pts, 4.7 rbs and shooting 35.3 from 3-pt.

They’d be playing a lot if still here.
Shumate leads the team in points, blocks, rebounds, and shooting %. Essentially he's the star player on the team. And Keyshawn was the leading scorer until he went out with an injury about a month ago.

Reactions: I.I.
Something happened during the last half of the Covid season. The team was 8-3 in January then just collapsed. After that, a mass exodus in the portal. TU basketball has been in freefall ever since. So indeed, Konkol inherited a mess.

I always found it odd that most of Haith’s best recruits were players from far away, who would get little playing time & apparently little support from Haith. Then, most would transfer away after their freshman season.

SGC’s dad even spoke of the lack of Haith’s support for his son during his freshman season. You’d think a head coach would either support his freshmen recruits from far away locations or recruit closer to home.

Would’ve been in less of a mess if Haith didn’t seem to have an unwritten rule that freshman don’t get PT even if it is warranted.

There’s a lot you can point to with mistakes Haith made but not adapting to not requiring sitting out after a transfer was a big one. Led to almost every single talented out of HS player not staying after their first year.

Funny how ‘stars’ don’t always translate to good play in college. Sometimes quite the
opposite.
Some 4*s, who always had the ball in their hands in HS, have trouble making the
adjustment of learning to play away from the ball....

Some who have watched some of our summer scrimmages say Hall has been some-
what that way....No alarm bells yet...The long "home stand" we have scheduled to
start the season should help him get back on track....He is a slender freshman with
no college experience, but a lot of BB savvy..We will need him for depth before we
are too far into the season.....

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA
Keyshawn Williams was a stud in the making.
So was Shumate...Haith literally threw away two potential starters by almost totally
ignoring them as freshmen...

Haith could coach JUCOs that had started at D-1 schools, but to me, little else....His
match up zone worked when properly coached, but was a disaster when not....

We probably gave up more open corner threes and offensive rebound put backs than
anyone else in D-1 college BB....

We had some good players during his reign, but only modest team success....Usually
just better than (or worse than) mediocre..:)

Last edited:
Funny how ‘stars’ don’t always translate to good play in college. Sometimes quite the opposite.
It is especially funny when someone inaccurately posts that a player was a four-star.

In reality, Curtis Haywood was an un-ranked three-star prospect when he committed to Georgia Tech.

He was a role player on a terrible ACC team then he transferred to Tulsa. Proved that he wasn't a capable shooter and had a limited role on two bad AAC teams.

He lived up to his un-ranked three-star rating. Good enough to be a scholarship mid-major player but not good enough to be an impact player.

Keyshawn Embery-Simpson was a consensus 4 star.

You have to wonder what "credible" source the rating service relied on to
come up with this....

In their defense, however, there are a lot of players that look like 4 stars
against one level of competition, and look very average against the next
level up....I have always felt that KES fit that description....When you look
at him physically, you realize he simply didn't have the size, quickness,
speed, and shooting ability to be anything special at the D-1 level,,,,

He didn't show much as a fr. at Arkansas, and had only one game at TU
where he lit up the scoreboard....

I think it was I.I. that posted during last season that after all, players
transfer for different reasons..Some good and some bad....With our 11 man
recruiting class that includes several transfers from D-1 schools, it makes
our coming season very difficult to predict...It may be a while before we
know what we really have....

You have to wonder what "credible" source the rating service relied on to
come up with this....
I'm not sure what you mean by this but ok.

I was part of the basketball player rankings team during from 2014 to June 2021.

At the time, I agreed with KES' ranking but I disagreed with the number of stars.

Obviously, I was overruled 😄

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT